Fourth Avenue’s Tres Boutique’s UA connection, passion for fashion

It started with three sisters, a passion for fashion and a world of technology that ignited a business they could call their own.

With a collection of trendy apparel, fun jewelry and vintage pieces, the Senda sisters bring their love of fashion to Fourth Avenue with Tres Boutique, which opened on Jan. 21.

Polka dot dresses, printed maxis, pleated skirts and brightly colored blouses line one wall of the store. Opposite the ladies apparel is the men’s section, complete with bow ties, blazers, button-up shirts and vests. But that’s not even the best part.

The boutique is also introducing “the beauty lounge,” which offers lash extensions, nail art, makeup application and parties.

Last September, Akiko, 27, Hiromi, 25 and Yoko, 23, launched their Tres Boutique website through the Fashion’s Night Out event. By November, what started as an online venture had become a pop-up store at St. Philip’s Plaza. But the expansion of their store didn’t stop there.

Akiko Senda, owner of Tres Boutique, said she and her sisters originally thought they would open pop-up stores in Phoenix and Los Angeles, but those plans changed.

“This (Tucson) was supposed to be a pop-up store just to try it out, but we actually decided to go permanent here,” Senda said. “Just with everything that we see going on around here, I think it will be a good place for us to be.”

Though Hiromi is still in school at the UA and Yoko is married and living in England, they have all had some sort of background in fashion. Senda studied at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in Los Angeles, with a focus on store displays and web merchandising.

“We’ve kind of always wanted to own a clothing shop and we all worked in either retail or beauty in some aspect,” she said. “I was in L.A. working for corporate companies for a while and then just came here and started it (the store).”

The Senda sisters would also eventually like to design their own clothing line, she said.

“I’m just someone that’s always wanted to work for myself,” Senda said, “so being my own boss is a great feeling. Just seeing it come to life is very rewarding.”

Spring styles at Tres Boutique

For ladies:
    • Shoes
    • Dresses (coral, bright blues, lots of colors)
    • Printed blouses
    • Colored denim and pants

For men:
    • Penguin swimwear (retro board shorts)
    • Flannel button-up shirts
    • Vests
    • Vintage apparel

Right now, Tres Boutique also carries bags, scarves, hats, jewelry and other miscellaneous knick-knacks by local artists.