Police beat

A label reading with “”SLAVE”” was found on the back of a classroom chair in the Meinel Optical Sciences building, 1630 E. University Blvd., at 11:15 a.m. Tuesday.

At 12:58 p.m. an officer was dispatched to the building to investigate a report of criminal damage. He spoke with a student who found a one-inch by two-inch mailing label sticker attached to the back of a seat in Room 408.

The word “”SLAVE”” was printed on the sticker in black ink and was underlined with a black marker. The student had removed the sticker from the chair.

He said he sits in the chair during a class on Tuesdays, but when he entered the classroom that day he sat behind the chair.

He said he has never had any trouble with anyone in the class, and nobody has ever made a derogatory comment toward him, but he said he felt the sticker was directed at him because he is African-American.

When he tried to ask the course’s instructor to talk to the students in the class about the incident, the instructor ignored him and continued to talk with other students.

When the officer talked to the instructor, he said he could not understand what the student was trying to say to him and that he doesn’t think there is a problem in the class environment.

A check of the other chairs in the classroom revealed no other stickers.

A blue Toyota Camry was stolen from 520 N. Euclid Ave. between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Tuesday.

An officer contacted the car’s owner. She was in possession of the keys and had no suspect or witness information.

Someone stole a black Fuji digital camera from La Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave., between 4 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. March 7.

At 11 a.m. Tuesday, an officer was dispatched to La Paz, where he met with a student who said someone entered his unlocked room March 7 and stole his camera.

The door to the room was left open when his roommate and girlfriend left the room.

He said the roommate may have information about a suspect.

The student was unable to provide further information and said he would pursue criminal charges.

The officer spoke with the roommate, who had observed a man in his late teens exiting the restroom of his suite.

The roommate said he noticed a black lanyard he thought belonged to a camera sticking out of the man’s front left pant pocket. The man was wearing a white T-shirt, knee-length shorts and flip-flops.

The roommate said he did not recognize the man.

Officers responded to a call concerning the odor of burnt marijuana at Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., at midnight March 5.

When an officer arrived, he met with a resident assistant in the lobby, who said that several residents complained of the odor of burnt marijuana coming from a certain room.

When officers went to the room on the seventh-floor, they could smell the odor of burnt marijuana in the hallway. When they stood in front of the door, the odor was particularly strong.

An officer could hear noises coming from inside the room, but was not sure if they were voices. He heard what sounded like people walking or moving something.

The officer knocked at least eight times without a response. The officer knocked at least four more times identifying himself as a University of Arizona Police Department officer, and there was still no response.

The officers told the RA they had no legal right to force entry into the room.

The case number was given to the RA.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.