Staff predictions for upcoming NAU game

Heather Newberry
The Arizona Stadium filled with fans right before halftime at the UA-Oregon State game on Nov. 11.

Jack:

After a tough loss two weeks ago by one yard, Arizona will return home to Arizona Stadium for the home opener. They’ll face off against in state foe NAU who won last week over Missouri State. NAU is another team that likes to throw the ball around the field. Their quarterback Case Cookus threw for 290 yards and two touchdowns last week. Arizona shouldn’t struggle too much on offense despite NAU only allowing 40 yards rushing. The game should be a lot like the Hawai’i game but after the first quarter expect Arizona to start pulling away with ease.

Prediction: Arizona: 55 NAU: 24

Amit:

Arizona football travels back to Tucson for the home opener after a heartbreaking loss in Hawai’i two weeks ago. NAU hasn’t faced Arizona since 2017, during Tate’s sophomore season when the Wildcats defeated the Lumberjacks 62-24. NAU defeated Missouri State last week 37-23 in its first game of the season. The Lumberjacks’ head coach Chris Ball enters his first year with the program and looks to improve on the 4-6 record from last season. Senior quarterback Case Cookus returns back to Flagstaff after being injured during much of last season. With Arizona’s rocky start and NAU on the apparent rise from last season, the Wildcats might have a tough battle for the 2019 season home opener.

Prediction: NAU 42 Arizona 35

Austin:

Arizona is back at home against NAU this weekend, coming off a tough loss to Hawai’i. A 62-24 win for the Wildcats the last time the two teams played here in Tucson has Arizona favored to win this game. NAU likes to throw the ball a lot, as QB Case Cookus went 18-29 for 290 yds and 2 TDs. This should test Arizona’s pass defense who allowed 436 yds passing in their loss to Hawai’i. NAU’s rush defense held Missouri State to 43 yards on 32 carries, so the rush might be tough for the Wildcats, however the Lumberjacks gave up 289 yards passing, so if Khalil Tate is able to throw the ball as well as he did against Hawai’i, with a few scrambles as well, the Wildcats should handle the Lumberjacks with ease. 

Prediction: 42 Arizona 21 NAU