Pittsfield woman faces 12 battery of child charges

Pittsfield woman is facing a dozen felony charges accusing her of battering and breaking the bones of a child less than a month old in December 2009.

Pike County grand jury decided Feb. 16 that there was sufficient evidence to indict 25-year-old Angela M. Bullard on multiple counts of aggravated battery of a child and aggravated domestic battery.

The grand jury returned a true bill of indictment charging Bullard with 12 felonies — four counts of aggravated battery of a child causing great bodily harm, four counts of aggravated domestic battery and four counts of aggravated battery of a child causing bodily harm.

The charges accuse Bullard of causing fractures to the child’s right tibia, right and left humerus and clavicle on Dec. 17, 2009, when the child, a family member, was 24 days old.

An indictment is a formal charge by a grand jury but is not proof of guilt.

Bullard turned herself in for arrest Feb. 24 on a Pike County warrant that was issued after the grand jury handed up the indictments. After her bail was reduced to $55,000 Bullard posted the required $5,500 in cash to secure her release from the Pike County Jail on March 11.

Under conditions of her bond Bullard is to refrain from contact with the child, now 16 months old, except as authorized by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.

Circuit Judge Michael Roseberry recused himself from the case Tuesday after Bullard’s court-appointed attorney, public defender David Shaw, filed a motion requesting a substitution.

The case has been sent to 8th Judicial Circuit Chief Judge Richard Greenlief for re-assignment.