Police Beat

A man was arrested for driving with a suspended license and for three warrants from the Tucson Police Department Jan. 23, reports stated.

Police stopped the man’s vehicle at North Campbell Avenue and East Hawthorne Street because it was associated with a warrant from TPD.

The man driving told police he had a suspended driver’s license and may have had a warrant for his arrest.

Police found marijuana flakes in the ashtray of his vehicle. The passenger in his car said the man had told her to hide marijuana and a glass pipe in her purse.

The man denied telling her to hide it. He said she had come over to his house and stole the items.

She was cited and released for possession of drug paraphernalia and marijuana.

The man was booked into Pima County Jail for possession of drug paraphernalia and marijuana also.

The vehicle was impounded and the marijuana and pipe were placed into evidence.

A student’s purse was stolen from her car Jan. 23, reports stated.

The student said she had parked her car in lot 7103, 425 N. Fremont Ave., at about 9 a.m. When she returned to the car at 1:09 p.m., a window was smashed out and her purse was missing.

The student told police that someone who knew she kept her purse under her seat in her car may have broken into the car, but she was unable to provide any names to police.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Two computers were stolen from the Gittings Building, 1713 E. University Blvd., reports stated.

An employee from the building told police that more than 130 people had access to the computers. The computer lab where the computers were taken from was unlocked.

An employee said the computers were taken sometime between 5 p.m., Jan. 22 and 7:30 a.m., Jan. 23.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A hate crime was reported Jan. 22, reports stated.

Police found “”Thank god there are not so many niggers in this school,”” written with a white paint pen in a bathroom stall in the Integrated Learning Center, 1500 E. University Blvd.

No other evidence was found.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A student’s wallet was stolen Jan. 18, reports stated.

The student said he left his wallet in a pair of pants in his roommate’s car, parked in a lot to the east of the Student Recreation Center, 1400 E. Sixth St., at about 6 p.m. The car was unlocked when he left.

When he returned to the car at about 8 p.m., the wallet was missing.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A student’s laptop was stolen in the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., Jan. 22, reports stated.

The student said he had the laptop while he was sitting on a bench on the north side of the Union.

He left the area and returned a few minutes later when he realized he left the laptop on the bench, but it was missing when he returned.

No on in the area had seen anyone take the laptop.

A student’s stereo and speakers were stolen from his vehicle Jan. 22, reports stated.

The vehicle was parked in lot 7103, 425 N. Fremont Ave., between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. When the student returned to the vehicle he found damage to the dashboard, doors and backseat.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A student’s cell phone, ipod and textbook were stolen from a table on the fourth floor of the Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., Jan. 22, reports stated.

The student said she briefly left the table at 5:58 p.m. When she returned a minute later and the items were missing.

No one in the area said they had seen the items taken.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A student was arrested for drug possession Jan. 22, reports stated.

A resident assistant reported smelling marijuana in one of the dorm rooms at Babcock Inn Residence Hall, 171E. Speedway Blvd.

The resident allowed police into the room. Police asked why his room smelled like fresh marijuana and he said his friend came into his room with some, but he made the friend leave.

When police asked to search his room, the student said “”Yeah, I’ll just show you,”” and opened a drawer in his dresser.

The drawer contained Vicodin and Adderall pills, a baggie with marijuana residue, small plastic baggies and two digital scales.

The student said his friends used the baggies and scale to sell marijuana.

The student was cited and released. The items were placed into evidence.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.