ASUA Notebook 9/07/2022: Robles and senators continue to fight for free transit

Jasmine Ma
Want an inside look at the University of Arizona’s student government? Read the Daily Wildcat’s Associated Students of the University of Arizona notebooks, which recap the ASUA Senate’s weekly meetings.

During Wednesday’s meeting of the Associate Students of the University of Arizona, ASUA President Patrick Robles announced that he was leading an effort to organize students to speak at the upcoming Tucson City Council meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 13, as part of an effort to keep the Sun Link free for UA students.

ASUA met on Wednesday, Sept. 7. The meeting was called to order at 6:03 p.m. and adjourned at 7:25 p.m.

Free Transit

ASUA recently launched the #WhyIRide campaign, which is part of continuing efforts to keep the Sun Link free. According to Robles, the campaign has an upcoming meeting with NPR and has already discussed solutions with the mayor’s office.

Robles, as well as other senators and UA students, will be in attendance at the upcoming Tucson City Council meeting in order to speak on the importance of the Sun Link to the UA community.

Senator-at-large Lady Elli has drafted a Sun Link resolution that confirms the senate’s support of the free transit effort. Senators will have a week to review the document before signing it.

In addition, Senator Amy Gaudet, representing the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, has drafted a resolution in support of the #WhyIRide campaign, which will be reviewed by ASUA at a later meeting.

Women’s Health Fair

Representatives of the Student Health Advocacy Committee attended the meeting as guests and spoke during the senate’s call to the audience.

Directors Geethika Ameneni and Nina Edwards gave a presentation in which they proposed a Women’s Health Fair, which would take place on Nov. 30 of this year if fully approved. They asked senators for their support and potential funding for the fair, which would advocate for women’s reproductive and sexual health and wellness, as well as self defense.

The representatives stressed the importance of their work in the wake of the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

Honorable Mentions

The senate moved to an executive session at 6:58 p.m. and returned to regular session at 7:15 p.m. During this time, all those in attendance who were not official ASUA members were asked to leave the room, this included Daily Wildcat reporters.

Follow Sean Meixner on Twitter