Vote yes on Prop 204

You may have seen some signs when you’re stopped at a red light, idling on the street corner. Among the numerous signs championing candidates’ names and patriotic catch phrases, there are a few that say “No new taxes, No on 204.”

This is a blatant attempt to mislead voters.

The formal title for Propostion 204 is actually the Arizona Sales Tax Renewal Amendment, and as you can tell from the title, it is far from being a new tax.

The tax was actually instated in 2010 and it is a one-cent sales tax that “will provide dedicated funding linked to performance and accountability for students of all ages and prevent legislators from cutting K-12 funding. Scholarships will ensure that universities and community colleges remain affordable. Investment in vocational educational education will allow students to graduate ready to work.”

Prop 204 puts education funding in the hands of state voters, rather than leaving it to a Legislature that has played partisan politics too long with dollars that should go to preparing students for their careers.

Maybe you’re the type of person that wants to save all the pennies you get back from a cashier in a jar, or maybe, like Gov. Jan Brewer, you’re worried that so much money going to education will make it difficult to balance the budget. Brewer supported the initiative, but promised it would be a temporary tax increase.

It would be asinine not to support such a simple and successful tax. The tax is projected to raise around $300 million for higher education each year, and is vital to filling the holes left by the state Legislature when it cut funding for higher education.

Chances are you have benefitted and will benefit from this tax in your four years at the UA. Vote yes on Prop 204.