The Regents are heading to Tempe this week, see what the state’s higher education leaders are up to

UA Academic Strategic Plan

The regents will review and take action on the UA’s 2016-2017 Academic Strategic Plan. The UA is requesting to establish one undergraduate program in psychological sciences, one master’s program in professional studies in health studies and a doctorate interdisciplinary minor in a social, cultural and critical theory.

NAU Academic Strategic Plan

Northern Arizona University is requesting approval of an addendum to its 2015-2016 Academic Strategic Plan, which, if approved, will add a bioengineering doctorate program to its College of Engineering, Forestry and Natural Sciences.

ASU is asking the board to approve the following:

The acquisition of property adjacent to the downtown Phoenix campus to continue to meet the demands and anticipation of its growing campus.

Acknowledgment and authorization of up to a $139.6 million refund of its 2008 Revenue Refunding Bonds, as well as pay associated issuance and transaction costs.

Lastly, the authorization to enter into ground lease and related agreements for the of the ASU Athletic Facilities District.

Academic year calendar revision

The board will review and take action on a revision to board policy 2-320, “Academic Year Calendar.” The proposed revision is to allow online, accelerated, distributed, graduate or professional, or study abroad courses or programs the ability to not conform to uniform start and end dates for all academic programs, as the current policy states.

Financial review process

The board will review the adoption of proposed new board policy detailing the annual university operational and financial review process, because current policies do not include a description of the process.

UA football coaching contracts

Multiple year employment contracts for defensive and offensive coordinators of the UA football team are to be put up for approval by the board. The UA is asking for an exception to the current board policy 6-303 that restricts contract terms for a service professional to one fiscal year.

Financial aid programs

The board will facilitate a panel discussion of the three universities’ need-based financial aid programs, after presenting highlights from the fiscal year 2015 Student Financial Aid Report. With no action being taken, this will only be a discussion that will include financial aid presentations about the resources available and how student aid is determined.

Tribal Consultation policy

The board will take action on the proposed revision to policy 1-118 “Tribal Consultation,” which the board adopted in 2011. After the Inter Tribal Council of Arizona requested a single policy to reflect the board’s commitment to consultation and collaboration with sovereign Indian tribes, the board office has prepared a revision in conjunction with ITCA and university tribal liaisons.

Follow Chastity Laskey on Twitter.