AZ Primaries are on Aug. 28. Are you ready?

Selena Quintanilla

Early voting Pima County members wait in line to cast their vote in at the Associated Students of the University of Arizona office on Nov. 4, 2016.

Tucson voters will be going to the polls on Aug. 28 to select their Republican and Democratic nominees for key races this November. Unlike in previous years, Independent voters will be able to vote in the party primary of their choosing.  

In Arizona’s Second Congressional District, which is located in Tucson, the primaries are crowded, with seven Democrats and four Republicans looking to replace Martha McSally. McSally is vacating her seat to run for Senator Jeff Flake‘s seat in the U.S. Senate.

In statewide races, Governor Doug Ducey is facing opposition in his campaign for a second term; there is one Republican competing for his nomination, and three Democrats vying for the chance to challenge him this November. There is also one write-in candidate for each party. 

The Daily Wildcat breaks down the platforms of the top two Republican and Democratic candidates in the primaries for these two critical races based on name recognition, fundraising and grassroots support.  

Republican Gubernatorial Primary: 

Doug Ducey:

When campaigning for re-election, Ducey plans to tout Arizona’s growing economy, balanced budget and lowered taxes. During his first term, Ducey increased funding to fight the opioid epidemic, clear the backlog of child safety cases in the state and secure Arizona’s southern border. Ducey has promised to increase funding for Arizona schools without increasing taxes. 

Ken Bennett:

A former Arizona secretary of state, Bennett has promised to balance the budget, increase funding for education, and cut income taxes in the state. He also supports repealing the North American Free Trade Agreement and the Affordable Care Act. Bennett plans to incentivize teachers to carry firearms on school campuses to protect students. 

Robert Weber is the write-in Republican candidate. 

RELATED: VIDEO: 2018 Arizona Democratic Gubernatorial Debate

Democratic Gubernatorial Primary: 

Steve Farley:

An Arizona state senator and prominent Tucson artist, Farley has claimed greater access to healthcare, increased funding for Arizona schools and revitalizing the state’s infrastructure as some of his key issues. Farley plans to fight discrimination, especially against women, the LGBTQ community and immigrants and their families, while also eliminating private prisons. 

David Garcia: 

Over his career in academia and government, Garcia has studied Arizona’s education system, and his campaign puts quality education for all Arizonans at its core. Garcia’s website says he plans to protect immigrants and women while rooting out corruption and investing in a more equitable economy focused on new technology and clean energy. 

Kelly Fryer is also competing for the Democratic nomination. 

Mirza Fareed Baig is the write-in Democratic candidate. 

Republican Congressional District Two Primary: 

Lea Márquez Peterson:

Márquez Peterson has served as the president and CEO of the Tucson Hispanic Chamber of Commerce since 2009. As a congresswoman, Márquez Peterson plans to empower businesses to grow the economy, secure Arizona’s southern border, balance the national budget and help veterans integrate into civilian life. 

Brandon Martin:

An 11-year veteran of the U.S. Army Reserves, Martin fought in Afghanistan as an Army intelligence professional. Martin is focused on securing Arizona’s southern border. He also advocates for balancing the budget, withdrawing from the United Nations, protecting the Second Amendment and fighting abortion, according to his website. 

Daniel Morales Jr. and Casey Welch are also competing for the Republican nomination. 

RELATED: They’re just some bills: Round-up of this legislative sessions’bills effecting higher education

Democratic Congressional District Two Primary:

Ann Kirkpatrick: 

A former U.S. representative, Kirkpatrick is looking to rejoin the House after a failed bid to defeat Senator John McCain in 2016. According to a quote on her website, Kirkpatrick has promised to improve the education system, protect Arizona farmland, pay down the national debt and protect Social Security and Medicare. 

Matt Heinz

A medical doctor and former state legislator, Heinz unsuccessfully challenged McSally for the District Two seat in 2016. Heinz’ website lists support for universal healthcare coverage, common-sense gun control, campaign finance reform and clean energy while opposing President Donald Trump’s border wall as key issues.

Mary Sally Matiella, Billy Kovacs, Yahya Yuksel, Bruce Wheeler and Barbara Sherry are also competing for the Democratic nomination. 

If you are not already registered to vote in Arizona, you will not be able to vote in the primaries. In order to be able to vote in the general election in November, voters must register before Oct. 9.

Follow Randall Eck on Twitter