Wildcats football slips behind in Pac-12 power rankings

Ryan+Revock+%2F+The+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AWSU+sophomore+runningback+Teondray+Caldwell+catches+the+ball+barely+inbounds+before+UA+sophomore+safety+Williams+Parks+could+tackle+him+on+Saturday+at+Arizona+Stadium.+
Ryan Revock
Ryan Revock / The Daily Wildcat WSU sophomore runningback Teondray Caldwell catches the ball barely inbounds before UA sophomore safety Williams Parks could tackle him on Saturday at Arizona Stadium.

1. No. 5 Oregon (9-1, 6-1 Pac-12 Conference) Last week: 2
The Ducks bounced back from their loss to Stanford with a typical Oregon offensive showcase, resulting in a 44-21 victory over Utah. If it can hang in and win its final two games against beatable Arizona and rival Oregon State, Oregon will represent the Pac-12 North in the conference championship game.

2. No. 9 Stanford (8-2, 6-2) LW: 1
The Cardinal clearly has a flaw in its passing game. Another loss last week to a big and strong defense that prevented it from running the ball has exposed its weakness to be the passing game. You’d think Stanford’s top-notch defense would make up for it, but apparently not. Thus, the Cardinal is barely hanging on to the number two position.

3. No. 17 ASU (8-2, 6-1) LW: 3
The Sun Devils’ biggest game of the season might be this week, as they travel to play No. 14 UCLA. The winners of five in a row, ASU could gain some breathing room with a win over the Bruins, who are just a game behind the Sun Devils in the Pac-12 South standings.

4. No. 23 USC (8-3, 5-2) LW: 5
No one in the conference is hotter than the Trojans right now. Their 20-17 home win over then-No. 4 Stanford established them as a real threat. Since taking over as interim head coach on Oct. 10, Ed Orgeron has led his USC team to a 5-0 conference record. A trip to the conference championship game, though, lies in the hands of ASU, as the Trojans need it to lose this week.

5. No. 14 UCLA (8-2, 5-2) LW: 4
The Bruins just find ways to win. They’re never really impressive, but they get the job done. That being said, they can’t rely on luck to beat the Sun Devils this week. And with USC knocking on their door the following week, the Bruins may be overwhelmed.

6. Oregon State (6-4, 4-3) LW: 6
This is where the conference sees a dip. The Beavers are a good team, but not a great team. Their 13-point loss to ASU wasn’t their best showing, but they can still save face with two big games remaining.

7. Washington (6-4, 3-4) LW: 8
Despite how disappointing this season has been so far, the Huskies still have a legitimate chance to finish with eight wins, as their remaining two games are against winnable opponents.

8. Washington State (5-5, 3-4) LW: 10
The year 2003 was the last time the Cougars qualified for the postseason. A win this week at home against Utah, and their nine-year drought will come to an end.

9. Arizona (6-4, 3-4) LW: 7
The Wildcats have zero wins against Pac-12 schools currently holding a winning record. Enough said.

10. Utah (4-6, 1-6) LW: 9
If the Utes lose to either Washington State or Colorado in the next two weeks, they will not be making a bowl game for the second straight season. Prior to last season, Utah had made nine straight bowls — including two BCS bowls.

11. Colorado (4-6, 1-6) LW: 11
While the Buffs aren’t grabbing any national headlines, they’ve definitely improved from last season. And most importantly, they probably won’t finish in last in the conference.

12. California (1-10, 0-8) LW: 11
The Golden Bears are far from golden.

—Follow Luke Della @LukeDella