Cwik lights lamp six times in Icecats’ win

Forward Dave Cwik came into Friday night’s Arizona men’s club hockey game with no goals this season. He left the Tucson Convention Center with six.

The senior tied three other Icecats for the second-most goals in a single game as Arizona defeated Texas Tech 10-4.

The Icecats won 4-3 on Saturday.

“”It’s pretty big, those six goals,”” said Zwik, a senior. “”I had a fun time out there, and we all played well.””

Cwik averaged 7.3 goals in his first three seasons.

The single-game scoring record for an Icecat is seven.

“”Those shorthanded goals are something we haven’t seen all year by our guys,”” said Arizona head coach Leo Golembiewski.

Sophomore Joe Del Rossi’s two goals Saturday helped the Icecats edge the Red Raiders.

Del Rossi has helped fill in for injured centers Matt Conover and Craig Irwin.

“”We needed guys to fill in for all the guys we’ve lost this season, and it’s nice to see the younger guys step up,”” said goalie Nick Boddy.

The Icecats lost another player for the season when right-winger Zack Davis broke his hand Saturday . The Icecats were forced to play with only 14 skaters, down from their usual 19, for the rest of the game.

They will also be without forward Robbie Nowinski for Friday’s game against UNLV after he was suspended two games for fighting in the first game against Texas Tech.

“”The heart we’ve shown since the second game against (Weber State), if we’d had shown that all year it would’ve been a different season,”” Golembiewski said.

The Icecats close the season at home next weekend.

“”All we have left is to fight for our pride,”” Boddy said.