Cason wins Pac-10 honor for second straight week

At this rate, Antoine Cason may soon run out of wall space.

The junior cornerback was named the Pacific 10 Conference’s Defensive Player of the Week for a second consecutive week after his 39-yard interception return for a touchdown gave Arizona a 24-20 upset win over then-No. 8 California Saturday.

“”Two in a row …I’ve never had this happen to me,”” said Cason, who also recorded four tackles. “”It feels good. I don’t even know what to say.””

The award is the third of his career after he won it as a freshman following his first collegiate game against NAU.

Though Cason scored as a senior at Los Alamitos (Long Beach, Calif.) High School as a running back in a playoff game against Wilson (Long Beach, Calif.) High School in 2003, the touchdown marked the first time Cason had found the end zone on the defensive side of the ball – ever.

“”Besides Pop Warner, and that doesn’t count really,”” he said.

Cason took home the award last week following his six-tackle performance in Arizona’s 27-17 win over then-No. 25 Washington State, in which he also broke up four passes and forced a fumble.

The corner was also named one of 11 semifinalists for the Jim Thorpe award last week, given each year to the nation’s top defensive back.

Steptoe to play Saturday, Johnson’s status in the air after injury

Wideout Syndric Steptoe, Arizona’s leading receiver with 526 yards on 49 receptions, missed practice last night but is expected back today.

Steptoe hurt his leg late in the Wildcats’ win over the Golden Bears, but UA head coach Mike Stoops said the injury is “”not too bad.””

Strong safety Michael Johnson, on the other hand, “”is probably the only question mark for Saturday,”” Stoops said.

Johnson injured his hamstring chasing after Cal’s DeSean Jackson during his 62-yard scoring reception in the second quarter. The senior was in street clothes for the second half and didn’t return.

Also on the injury front, free safety Dominic Patrick, who dressed but did not play Saturday, should be available Saturday against Oregon.

Patrick injured his neck in Arizona’s win over Washington State two weeks ago, and the stinger was still affecting his arms Saturday.

“”Dominic was probably 80 percent, still didn’t have 100 percent strength in his arms,”” Stoops said. “”But I think we’ll definitely have Dominic back in the rotation.””