Finnegan, Hammond win Presidency and AVP respectively, EVP race hits a snag

Darien Bakas
ASUA members pose for a picture with the newly elected president, Mikey Finnegan, in the Student Union on Wednesday, March 2.

Winners of the ASUA elections were announced to a packed room in the Student Union Memorial Center Wednesday night.

Mikey Finnegan was announced to a roar of cheers as the next ASUA president, winning 72.25 percent of the votes as opposed to his opponent, Hannah White who won 27.75 percent. 

Finnegan, who is the current chief of staff for current ASUA president Manny Felix, will take over as president next semester.

Tatum Hammond, who was running for a second term, was announced was the Administrative Vice President. Hammond was running unopposed.

The race for the Executive Vice Presidential seat has still been undecided.

In a decision made by the ASUA Elections Commissioner, Trey Cox, the winner of the majority of the votes in the Executive Vice Presidential election was disqualified for illegal campaign practices.

Cox has confirmed that he will be appealing the decision trough the ASUA Elections Commission, who will then review appeal and then have the power to overturn or uphold the Election Commissioner’s decision.

Following the decision by the Elections Commission, candidates will once again get an opportunity to appeal – taking the case to the ASUA Superior Court. The court would then have the final say. 

If the decision is upheld by the commission and then possibly again by the superior court, Stefano Saltalamacchia would be the winner.

Follow Sam Gross on Twitter.