Bobby Dalbec named Pac-12 Player of Week

Arizona+pitcher+Bobby+Dalbec+%283%29+hits+a+ball+at+Hi+Corbett+Field+on+Sunday%2C+March+6.+Dalbec%2C+who+was+on+a+number+of+preseason+award+watch+lists%2C+has+struggled+at+the+plate+so+far.+
Jen Pimentel
Arizona pitcher Bobby Dalbec (3) hits a ball at Hi Corbett Field on Sunday, March 6. Dalbec, who was on a number of preseason award watch lists, has struggled at the plate so far.

After a slow start to the season, Arizona baseball’s highly-touted third baseman and pitcher Bobby Dalbec has quickly turned things around. He was named as the Pac-12 Conference’s Player of the Week, the conference announced on Monday.

For the week, Dalbec went 5-for-14 with three home runs, six RBI, six runs, and five walks in four games. He also pitched seven innings, allowing only two runs, while earning a save and a win.

The do-it-all right-hander is 4-1 with a 1.21 ERA in 22.1 innings this season, plus has five saves and 24 strikeouts. And despite a rough beginning to the season at the plate, Dalbec has managed to raise his batting average to .238 and has hit a team-high four home runs along with 14 RBI. He’s also drawn 16 walks, giving him a .402 on-base percentage.

It’s the first time the junior has won the award, but he’s not the first Wildcat to do it this season. Freshman outfielder Alfonso Rivas won the honor in late February after a stellar performance in the Tony Gwynn Classic in San Diego.

Dalbec and the Wildcats (13-6 overall, 1-2 Pac-12 Conference) will return to the field on Tuesday when they’ll host Utah Valley. First pitch at Hi Corbett Field is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Follow Ryan Kelapire on Twitter