Women’s tennis team loses freshman Natasha Marks

The Arizona women’s tennis team approached the fall semester as a time to gain experience and hone its skills before the treacherous Pacific 10 Conference schedule begins in February. With just one senior on the squad, the team participated in several tournaments to get a feel of their young roster.

UA coaches were particularly excited to see what freshman Natasha Marks was capable of. Marks, a native of Nottingham, England, came in as a highly-touted recruit and the coaches planned on giving her plenty of opportunities.

But things did not go to plan.

Marks was admitted to University Medical Center on Sept. 29 with abdominal pain, and doctors diagnosed her with appendicitis.

Marks underwent a successful surgery and was released from the hospital two days later, but she is still feeling the effects.

“”It was very painful at first, but I’m feeling better now,”” Marks said Monday. “”I’m able to walk now, and I still don’t have an appetite but I am definitely getting better.””

In terms of returning to the courts, Marks said the doctors are playing it by ear.

“”The doctors aren’t sure when I can come back, but they told me I should start rehabbing soon,”” Marks said.

Knowing that her health is under control, UA assistant coach Ryan Stotland is ready to help Marks get back into tennis shape.

“”Our plan was to get her to play as much as possible, so this is a setback,”” Stotland said. “”But she is a hard worker and we know she will be ready to go.””

Marks’ first extended stay in America did not go as planned, to say the least, but she is optimistic about the future.

“”I definitely didn’t see (the appendicitis) coming, but I still really like it here,”” Marks said. “”The team has been doing really well, and I am proud of the girls.””