ASUA announces the winners of Friday’s special election

Darien Bakas
Executive Vice Presidential candidate Trey Cox reads the official ASUA results sheet following the announcement of the general election winners on Wednesday, March 2.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona special election results are in with 11 new senate positions filled and the executive vice president chosen for the next academic year.

After a special election that took place Friday night, current ASUA Sen. Trey Cox is now the next ASUA executive vice president, taking the student vote at 34.82 percent in the special election.

“I’m honestly ecstatic right now. This has been a three-month process and I’m just so glad it’s done,” Cox said.

For Cox, the win came as a surprise. When current ASUA Treasurer Jack Emery entered the race, he feared that the vote would be split—and it was a close call.

Emery received 33.47 percent of the votes, losing only 20 votes to Cox, and the third candidate, Stefano Saltalamacchia, received 31.71 percent of the vote.

The special election was prompted by the disqualification of general election executive vice president candidate, Cox, and a lack of senate candidates in the ASUA general election last month.

In last month’s general election, Cox was disqualified from the race by ASUA Elections Commissioner Diego Alvarez for illegal campaign practices and the accusation of discriminatory speech.

The ASUA Elections Commission overturned the disqualification on the basis of lack of evidence to substantiate one of the complaints. Then, the ASUA Supreme Court reinstated the once-overturned disqualification calling for the special election.

Despite the disqualification, Cox was allowed to run in the special election because this election is not a continuation of the general election.

Cox, who originally ran on platforms revolving around club marketing, funding and web services, said he now hopes to direct at least half of his attention to working with campus cultural centers.

There were 11 empty senate seats left empty in the general election, 10 of which were filled Friday night. The 11th seat resulted in a tie between two candidates: Matthew Rein and Nohe Garcia.

A run-off election will take place between Rein and Garcia to determine a winner, according to Alvarez.

Alvarez said the election should happen quickly, but it is just waiting on a date approval for the run-off election by the ASUA Senate.

The 10 senate candidates who received the most votes and will be at-large senators next year are:

-Anna Woolridge

-Atiana Waters

-Emily Hastings

-Allie Patberg

– Olivia Johnson

-Trent Waller

-Stefan Schmietenknop

-Peter Marozzi

-Allison Childress

-Danielle Ledezma 

Follow Chastity Laskey on Twitter.