Joey Holter To Reign Over 1955 Homecoming

October 21, 1955

Queen Joey Holter will reign over Homecoming festivities today and tomorrow as an estimated 3,000 alumnus return to campus.

Crowning of the queen will take place tonight at the UA’s 39th annual Homecoming Dance in Bear Down Gymnasium. Tommy Alexander and his 17 piece band will provide the music.

First event of the weekend is a free round-up fiesta and barbecue tonight at 6 p.m. next to the Greek Theater. Chef Marty Baldwin will prepare the barbecued beef in a pit dug by Theta Tau, engineering fraternity.

Admission to tonight’s Homecoming Dance will be by student activity card or recognition badge. Alumni will receive their recognition badges when they register this afternoon at tables set up on campus and in downtown hotels.

The semi-formal dance will last from 9 p.m. to 12 midnight, with the crowning of the queen at 10:15 p.m. by Alexander. Gifts will be presented to all queen finalists by Blue Key, senior men’s honorary.

Red and blue spotlights will shine on Alexander’s band, which will occupy the center of the gym floor. A female vocalist is to be featured.

Alexander has recorded several hits for MGM and appeared on Monitor. He had his own television show in California this summer and finished a month’s engagement at the Balboa Rendezvous Ballroom in September.

The balcony of Bear Down Gym will be open to provide extra seating for alumni and chaperons. A refreshment stand will be set up outside the building.

For visitors who would rather visit than dance, there will be a patio party at the Student Union Building this evening. Background music will be provided by a hi-fi set.

Pioneer Hotel will be the setting of the alumni luncheon following tomorrow morning’s parade. Tickets for the 12:15 p.m. luncheon sell for $2.

Chain Gang members will escort alumni to the college open houses from 2:30 to 4 tomorrow afternoon. Tours of the colleges will be given by organizations connected with each college.

Prize winning floats will parade at 7:30 p.m., followed by the Arizona-Oregon football game at 8 p.m. During halftime the Alumni Service Award will be presented to Martin Gentry, class of 1929.

Special honor is being paid to the golden and silver anniversary years of 1905 and 1930. Teams of these years will be honored during halftime.

Besides Blue Key, Chain Gang and Theta Tau, three other honoraries are cooperating with Homecoming activities. Wranglers have been running registration booths in front of SU as well as at the Pioneer and Santa Rita Hotels.

Sophos are helping with preparations for the barbecue, and Bobcats are in charge of the queen and the parade.