Pac-12 football power rankings: week 10

Quarterback B.J. Denker (7) points to the Arizona fans after scoring a touchdown during a game between Colorado and Arizona at Folsom Field, Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013. (Kai Casey/CU Independent)
Kai Casey

1. No. 2 Oregon (8-0, 5-0 Pac-12) Last week: 1

The Ducks are for real. They scored 42 points against UCLA this past week and were no match for the then No. 12 Bruins in the second half. If Oregon can get past its top 10 battle with No. 5 Stanford on Nov 7., the Ducks have a pretty good chance at finishing the regular season undefeated.

2. No. 5 Stanford (7-1, 5-1) LW: 2

The Cardinal continue to win on the back of one of the country’s best defenses and their running back Tyler Gaffney. The senior ran for 145 yards and three touchdowns this past week against the then No. 25 Oregon State Beavers. Stanford has a bye week coming up before its home game with No. 2 Oregon, which will once again probably determine the Pac-12 North champion and could propel Stanford into the National Championship conversation if it wins.

3. ASU (5-2, 3-1) LW: 3

With UCLA getting crushed by Oregon and the Sun Devils having the week off, ASU by default jumps up from No. 4 to No. 3 in the power rankings. The Sun Devils are now on top of the Pac-12 South and control their own destiny in the quest to reach the conference championship game.

4. Oregon State (6-2, 4-1) LW: 5

Though they lost, the Beavers played better against Stanford than most teams have and still are only one game behind rival Oregon for first place of the North division. OSU quarterback Sean Mannion and receiver Brandin Cooks are deadly. The Beavers will be tested again as they host USC this week, which has the conference’s top ranked defense.

5. No. 20 UCLA (5-2, 2-2) LW: 4

The Bruins endured Oregon until the second half. The Ducks clearly were the better team, though. UCLA needs to find a way to get out of its current two game losing streak slump. Lucky for them, 3-4 Colorado comes to town this upcoming week and should help the Bruins get back on the winning track.

6. Arizona (5-2, 2-2) LW: 7

The Wildcats pounded Colorado this past week and did so behind quarterback B.J. Denker. Arizona got some help in the South division standings with UCLA losing, but Arizona is still barely holding on. The UA travels to 1-7 California next week, which should be no problem for Denker and the offense.

7. USC (5-3, 2-2) LW: 10

The Trojans’ defense once again helped pull out a victory for USC as it contained Utah to just three points Saturday. The Trojans’ offense was once again without All-American receiver Marqise Lee (injury), which didn’t help. USC is going to have trouble hanging with Oregon State’s explosive offense this coming week if it doesn’t have Lee on the field.

8. Washington (5-3, 2-3) LW: 6

The Huskies might have ended their three game losing streak with a 41-17 victory over California this past week, but it’s a win that doesn’t mean much considering the Golden Bears have just one win this season so far. Washington is a talented team, but needs to show it against a team with actual importance. Its upcoming opponent Colorado isn’t that team.

9. Utah (4-4, 1-4) LW: 8

The Utes’ size was no match to Southern California’s defense last week and now is basically eliminated from the conference championship game. From here on out Utah is playing to be bowl eligible as it needs to win at least two more games to do so. It has a bye this week before hosting ASU the following week.

10. Washington State (4-4, 2-3) LW: 9

The Cougars are also now just playing to reach six wins. They had this past week off and will host ASU on Halloween. An upset win would be huge for the program and would give them a good chance of reaching its first bowl since 2003.

11. Colorado (3-4, 0-4) LW: 11

The Buffaloes are talented but young. They should be much improved next season but for now it’s just about growing and gaining experience in the new system.

12. California (1-7, 0-5) LW: 12
It’s safe to say this is not how Golden Bear fans had hoped their season would go.

Upcoming game of the week: USC at Oregon State
Last week’s game of the week: No. 6 Stanford 20, No. 25 Oregon State 12
Week nine player of the week: Washington running back Bishop Sankey ran for 241 yards and two touchdowns in their 41-17 victory over California

—Follow Luke Della @LukeDella