Students react to outcomes of 2006 election

Students who campaigned for various candidates and propositions had mixed reactions to the news of the state election results yesterday.

David Martinez III, president of the UA Young Democrats and a pre-education senior, said he was excited as the Democratic Party in Arizona took control of the majority of open positions in Arizona.

“”Obviously we are disappointed that (Jim) Pederson lost,”” Martinez said. “”It was a sweet and sour election. Both sides fought really hard on this campaign, and the outcome in the House is evidence that citizens in this country are ready for a new direction.””

Blake Rebling, president of the UA College Republicans and a political science junior, said he is mostly disappointed with the outcome of the election.

“”It’s kind of disappointing that a party which has no real tactics has taken control of this election,”” Rebling said.

Students had mixed reactions to the results of the passing of Proposition 300 and failure of Proposition 107.

Proposition 300, which denies state and federal dollars to illegal immigrants, carries particular significance with UA students who are here illegally and attending college with student aid or state loans, Martinez said.

“”It’s really unfortunate that immigrants and their children are caught in the middle of this nationwide fight surrounding our border,”” Martinez said. “”To punish their children by denying services, which could help them get further educated, is truly sad.””

Sophia Saucedo, a public health junior and co-chair of the Chicano student organization Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan, said she worked hard to advocate the danger of this and other immigration-restrictive propositions and is disappointed with the outcome.

“”We want to now work with President (Robert) Shelton to gauge his reaction,”” Saucedo said. “”Hopefully we will be working with other organizations to take this to the Arizona Supreme Court.””

Rebling said that although Republicans lost this election throughout the nation, he is glad that Proposition 300 was passed by voters.

“”Illegal immigrants aren’t here legally, so it’s good that they won’t really be getting state benefits,”” Rebling said.

UA students who worked to defeat Proposition 107, which would have prohibited state entities from offering domestic partnership benefits, celebrated their victory yesterday.

Daniel Churgin, a microbiology senior and president of Delta Lambda Phi, a gay and bisexual fraternity, said brothers and friends in his fraternity have been calling one another in excitement all day.

“”This is the first time a proposition like this has failed in any state it was proposed in,”” Churgin said. “”And the fact that we are a red state makes this even more of a big deal.””

Adria Brooks, an engineering sophomore, said she worked closely with Wingspan and other local activist groups to help defeat Proposition 107.

“”I blew off a lot of school work to do this, and now that it has been defeated, I feel it was all justified,”” Brooks said.

Miriam Barnard, director of development for Wingspan, said the participation of UA goups was instrumental in defeating Proposition 107.

“”This proposition directly affects so many people who are connected to the university, “” Barnard said. “”It was really powerful to have members of the student body working so hard against this.””