Staff Picks

Volleyball

The ‘Cats return to the comfort of home this weekend where they will host what should be a great weekend of volleyball with the two Washington schools coming into McKale.  Arizona comes in ranked 18th, and will have their hands full with the 5th ranked Huskies and Washington State, who sits at 21 in the polls.  I have two reasons why I think Arizona can handle the Cougars: 1.) The ‘Cats are 9-1 in matches at home, and 2.) Since they’ve dropped the last two against WSU, I think the ‘Cats are due to pull this one out at home. The “”Halloween Spooktacular”” is the best name for any sporting event over the weekend, and it’s when Arizona will square off against Washington.  I see the Huskies being a little harder to take down.  Washington has been an Achilles heel for Arizona, leading the all-time series 25-22.  That being said, I’ll stick with the ‘Cats in an upset in front of the home crowd.

Best Sports Costume

It was hard to pick from the endless options of costumes that would poke fun at an athlete or story from this year.  But every time I watch Alex Rodriguez play, he is almost more entertaining with his dugout antics, random arm flailing, and confused facial expressions, that I found him to be the obvious choice for best sports costume this year.  Sure, an Oregon Duck with boxing gloves (see Blount) might be a more relevant choice, but A-Rod’s transition from the covers of Sports Illustrated to the cover of US Weekly shouldn’t be ignored.  To pull it off: a cardboard cut-out of Kate Hudson, AND Derek Jeter, a pocket mirror, pen and paper for poem ideas, and of course the pinstriped No. 13 jersey.  

Oregon vs. USC

As a U of A student, it’s hard to decide whom you root for in this game.  With both teams left on their schedule, a number of different scenarios could play out that give the ‘Cats the shot at a Rose Bowl.  USC’s defense was exposed last week at home against Oregon State when they let up 36 points, the most they’ve let up all year and the most a Pete Carroll defense has given up since the Leinart/Bush team in 2005.  Autzen Stadium in Eugene is one of the toughest places to play in college football, and the Trojans haven’t won a game in the state of Oregon since 2005.  I think there are a lot of indicators that point to Oregon winning this game.  They’re at home, they’ve won six in a row, and it’s Halloween, just saying.  USC though will for sure beat Oregon in the matchup of “”who can play their fight song the most?””.  Trojans win that one 95-20.

Score: Oregon-28, USC-24