A running list of statements made by UA organizations regarding George Floyd and protests

Amy Bailey

The University of Arizona has sent out several statements about COVID-19 and how the administration plans to prevent a widespread outbreak on campus.

Over the past few weeks, various University of Arizona affiliated organizations and individuals have released statements regarding the killing of George Floyd and subsequent protests. We’ve compiled these statements below in reverse-chronological order. 

RELATED: Peaceful protesters engage in March For Justice rally on UA Mall

June 10: UA Graduate Coalition

UA’s graduate coalition released another statement to their twitter calling on the UA to take action, citing multiple racist incidents on campus including the treatment of the “Arizona 3” and a black student who was assaulted on campus last year. 

“We challenge the University of Arizona to be accountable and to take initiative to put substantive commitments into practice,” the coalition said. “We call on the administration at the University of Arizona and on the Arizona Board of Regents to take concrete measures toward dismantling systems of oppression and violence on the University of Arizona campus and in our broader community.”

June 10: Adalberto and Ana Guerrero Student Center

The Guerrero center released a statement on Instagram supporting the black community and the Black Lives Matter movement. 

“Most importantly, we must speak up when we hear folks making anti-Black comments, or when we see injustices happening, regardless of whether it is a classmate, roommate, friend, or even your mom or your abuelita,” the center said. 

View this post on Instagram

The Adalberto and Ana Guerrero Student Center publicly condemns the wrongful murder of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, and countless other Black folks whose lives were taken by the police. We stand with the Black queer, trans, women, men and children who are enraged, mournful, and exhausted of having their lives taken unfairly and indiscriminately by the police state we live in. We stand behind the Black Lives Matter movement and the public demonstrations demanding for the police officers involved to be called to justice, Enough is enough! Racism, antiblackness and white supremacy aren’t “American” or “white people’s” issues only. These things are also rampant and present in the fabric of our Latinx community, whether you identify as Mexican, Chicanx, Central American, South American, Caribbean, etc. We have a lot to unlearn. It is our responsibility to not only self-reflect and analyze how we have unfairly benefited from these systems, but also how we perpetuate them in our thoughts, words, and actions. It is necessary that we educate ourselves on how to disrupt these systems and make a more just future possible. Most importantly, we must speak up when we hear folks making antiblack comments, or when we see injustices happening, regardless of whether it is a classmate, roommate, friend, or even your mom or your abuelita. Our community will not be free until we ALL are free. Black issues are Latinx issues too. We at the Guerrero Center do not condone the use of racism and antiblackness and will not tolerate that behavior from staff, students, or any of our visitors. We commit to provide a safer space for all black students, staff and community members.

A post shared by UA Guerrero Center (@ua_guerrero) on

June 5: LGBTQ Affairs 

Jen Hoefle Olson, director of LGTBQ affairs, urged the community in a listserv email to acknowledge the Stonewall Uprising, which protested police violence directed toward the LGBTQ+ community, especially among queer and trans people of color.  

“Let’s honor this Pride Month by taking responsibility for educating ourselves about systemic racism and what we can do to help effect meaningful change,” Olson said. 

June 4: African American Student Affairs

“All Black folx deserve life without the trauma that we have each experienced witnessing the death of Black people filmed without real consequences or change,” AASA said on their Instagram. The post also included a call to action urging education, donation, listening to black leaders and protecting black lives. 

June 4: Women and Gender Resource Center

“We join the thousands of people grieving, uprising and enraged at the deaths of Black trans, queer, women, men and children,” the WGRC said in a statement on Instagram. 

The statement also acknowledged that the university rests on Tohono O’odham land and said, “we need to acknowledge that we are complicit in state violence.”

View this post on Instagram

We join the thousands of people grieving, uprising and enraged at the deaths of Black trans, queer, women, men and children. Women centers have a legacy of uplifting and centering cis gender white women, including UA’s WRC. As a resource center on occupied Tohono O’odham land at a university institution, we need to acknowledge that we are complicit in state violence. We acknowledge this fact because statements from organizations, institutions and businesses stating Black Lives Matter is not enough. It feels important to share that our current staff, including our student staff, are made up of Black, brown, LGBTQ+ and long-time Tucson community members, primarily femmes of color. We are committed to centering Black, indigenous, survivor, queer and trans lives and narratives. We are listening, learning, unlearning, and disrupting. We envision a future on campus and in our communities that prioritizes funding for harm repair models, which includes necessary budgets to cultural and resource centers. Recommended Readings: From #BlackLivesMatter to Black Liberation by Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor Policing the Planet by Jordan T. Camp and Christina Heatherton Women, Race and Class by Angela Davis If They Come in the Morning: Voices of Resistance by Angela Davis Black Women’s Manifesto by Third World Women’s Alliance This Bridge Called My Back Writings by Radical Women of Color The Combahee River Collective Statement Follow and support: @blm_tucson @ua_bsu @blklivesmatter @mvmnt4blklives @healingwhileblack @osopepatrisse @blackrenonline @blackwomensblueprint @kindredconnectionstuc Tucson Second Chance Community Bail Fund

A post shared by Women & Gender Resource Center (@wgrc_ua) on

June 4: Residence Hall Association

RHA said in a statement on Instagram they are in “full support” of the Black Lives Matter movement. 

“We call on you all to utilize your voices and platforms to raise awareness, become a catalyst for change, and take action in these times of social injustice,” they said, along with educational resources.

View this post on Instagram

From the joint Executive Boards of NRHH and RHA we have written a statement. Pasted below is the link for the Black Student Union: https://aasa.arizona.edu/black-student-union Below is our statement: Many have been significantly impacted by the recent, tragic murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, Dion Johnson, and countless other Black individuals. These cherished members of our communities have been unjustly murdered through heinous and sickening acts of police brutality. We fervently stand with the Black community as the Residence Hall Association and the National Residence Hall Honorary at the University of Arizona. Our organizations emphatically reject these actions and will fight inequality and racism by empowering our students on campus. We see you, we hear you, and we are with you. We solemnly pledge to hold our organizations, members, executive boards, and the University of Arizona Housing and Residential Life Department accountable by publicly condemning racist acts, statements, and bigotry to the fullest extent possible. We are in full support of the Black Lives Matter movement. We will provide our steadfast support for organizations with anti-racist sentiments. It is critically important to stay informed about the current protests, events, and actionable policies we see locally and nationwide. We call on you to support our Black Student Union. Here is their website: https://aasa.arizona.edu/black-student-union. Here you can find resources and information from the on-campus B.L.A.C.K. Theme Community. We call on you all to utilize your voices and platforms to raise awareness, become a catalyst for change, and take action in these times of social injustice. The following slides will show ways to get involved.

A post shared by UA RHA (@uofarha) on

June 4: ZonaZoo

ZonaZoo said they want to use their platform to speak out against racism in a statement posted to Instagram. 

“We must stay informed and educate ourselves about the underlying issues of deeply rooted systemic racism plaguing our society,” the statement said.

View this post on Instagram

#BlackLivesMatter

A post shared by ZonaZoo Official (@zonazooofficial) on

June 3: UA President Dr. Robert C. Robbins

In his statement, Robbins said he was “sickened” by the footage of Floyd’s death and we should collectively advocate for civil, educational, economic and healthcare justice for the black community. 

“Compassion, integrity and inclusion can help us move forward, and demand better,” Robbins said. “As a community, we must challenge ourselves to do more to be welcoming, inclusive, supportive and kind — and to stand side by side with the most vulnerable among us.”

June 3: Campus Recreation

“Campus Recreation stands in solidarity with those working for racial justice on campus, in Tucson, and across the world,” they said on their Instagram.

June 2: UA Police Department

Brian Seastone, chief of UAPD, said that Floyd’s death at the hands of a police officer was “appalling to me as both a citizen and as a law enforcement professional.”

He said he reiterated his commitment to being open to the community and can be reached at seastone@arizona.edu. 

June 1: Campus Health

Campus Health encouraged students to take care of their mental and physical health during challenging times in a statement on Twitter. 

“Our hearts ache after the brutal killing last week of Mr. George Floyd … We are here to help and support you,” the statement said. “Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at Campus Health/CAPS.”

June 1: UA Graduate Student Coalition

“We demand that our respective universities immediately terminate all of their relations with police departments and private security companies,” the coalition said in a statement linked to their Twitter. “These policing institutions enact the same violence in our own communities as we have seen this week in Minneapolis, and through these relations our universities support this violence and continue to uphold the white supremacy that is foundational to this country.”

June 1: Associated Students of the University of Arizona

“ASUA stands in solidarity with the Black community,” ASUA wrote on their Instagram. “We encourage all students and community members to learn about, reflect on and speak out against continued brutality and injustices against Black lives.” 

The post contained educational resources, reflection prompts and numbers to text in support of the movement. 

June 1: Arizona Athletics

Arizona Athletics released a statement along with a video on Twitter on June 1. 

“We are deeply saddened by the tragic injustices that have happened across the nation,” the statement said. “We are committed to creating spaces for student-athletes and staff to come together to grieve, build trust, and develop allyship.”

June 1: Arizona Athletics also retweeted a joint statement from the Pac-12 Conference, cosigned by Athletic Director David Heeke. 

“As universities tasked with educating the next generation of leaders, we are in a unique position to be a part of the solution and to hold ourselves accountable,” the statement said.

June 1: Sean Miller, head men’s basketball coach

“There are no lessons learned without the complete understanding that we RESPECT each other at all times – regardless of race, color, gender, religion or national origin,” Miller said in a statement posted to Instagram.

View this post on Instagram

A statement from head coach Sean Miller.

A post shared by Arizona Basketball (@aplayersprogram) on

May 31: Kevin Sumlin, head football coach

“I wear many hats each day: father, brother, son, coach, friend, boss, colleague,” Sumlin said in a two-part statement on Twitter. “But yet no matter what hat I put on, the color of my skin does not change. Being a college head football coach, blessed to earn more than I ever could have imagined, does not make me immune to the same suspicious stares, to the same fears of being pulled over, to the same assumptions that others make of me, to the same racist remarks sent in my direction, simply because I am Black.” 

May 31: Adia Barnes, head women’s basketball coach 

Barnes said she stands with student-athletes during this time and said it is her duty to “unite, empower, and educate women to have an effective voice to inspire change.”

Follow Priya Jandu on Twitter