Police Beat

An officer met with a student whose car was vandalized in Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage, 880 E. Fourth St., between 2:45 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Wednesday.

The student thought he knew who had committed the damage. Around 2:45 a.m. he had gotten into an argument with a resident of Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., about who was the better poker player.

The student said that during the argument, the resident had mentioned “”messing with”” his car, according to reports.

When the student returned to his car at 4:45 p.m., he saw scuff marks above the passenger-side door.

The officer went to Coronado to speak with the resident. The resident said he had told the student to leave him alone, or else he would mess with his car.

He denied damaging the vehicle, saying he had not left Coronado after engaging in the argument.

Both men admitted the argument had been stupid, and they said they would avoid each other from then on.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A student’s keys and CatCard were stolen from a basketball court at the Student Recreation Center, 1400 E. Sixth St., between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The student left four keys, his CatCard and a cell phone at the side of a court before playing. When he returned, only his cell phone remained.

He searched the basketball courts but found nothing.

Three of the keys resembled those for a house, and the other was for his BMW.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Graffiti was found on the southeast side of the Mines and Metallurgy building, 1235 E. James E. Rogers Way, at 9:03 p.m. Wednesday.

The graffiti consisted of either a triangle or the letter ‘A,’ as well as the letters ‘B,’ ‘E,’ ‘I’ and ‘S,’ and the number four.

Police took pictures, which were placed into evidence.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A woman was arrested for driving on a suspended license near the intersection of North Campbell Avenue and East Ninth Street at 7:13 p.m. Wednesday.

While driving southbound on North Campbell Avenue, an officer did a license plate check on a white Volvo. The check showed that the car’s insurance had expired, and the officer pulled the vehicle over.

Once stopped, the driver gave proof that she had renewed her insurance. A records check on her driver’s license showed that it was suspended.

The driver said she had not been aware her license was suspended.

She was arrested and released on the scene. Her car was impounded.

A woman’s vehicle caught fire near the intersection of East Elm Street and North Ring Road at 11:31 a.m. Wednesday.

While traveling southbound on North Campbell Avenue near the intersection with East Elm Street, an officer noticed a smoking car stopped at a red light.

Smoke billowed from the engine, and the driver pulled over in a parking lot on East Elm Street. She was instructed to stand clear of the vehicle across the street.

Tucson Fire Department arrived and put out the fire. The engine compartment suffered heavy damage, as did the hood and fenders.

Photos were taken and placed into property.

The driver was not insured against the damage.