Five stats: The numbers behind Arizona’s rout of Oregon

Running+back+JJ+Taylor+%2821%29+flips+into+the+end+zone+to+score+a+touchdown+for+Arizona+during+the+homecoming+game+against+Oregon+on+Saturday%2C+Oct.+27+at+Arizona+Stadium.+The+Cats+defeated+the+Ducks+44-15.+
Madeleine Viceconte
Running back JJ Taylor (21) flips into the end zone to score a touchdown for Arizona during the homecoming game against Oregon on Saturday, Oct. 27 at Arizona Stadium. The Cats defeated the Ducks 44-15.

Arizona football defeated No. 19 Oregon by a final score of 44-15 on Saturday in Arizona Stadium. Here’s a rundown of the most important stats that helped determine the outcome of the game.

44

The Wildcats scored 44 points in their Homecoming game. Arizona has been known for putting up big numbers on Homecoming nights. Last season, the Wildcats beat Washington State 58-37, and in 2015, Arizona put up 42 against the Cougars in a three-point loss.

RELATED: Homecoming turns into home cooking for Wildcats

87

Arizona’s defense held potential top-five pick Justin Herbert to just 87 yards, passing, in the first half. The Oregon star went 11 for 23 in the first 30 minutes of play with only 87 yards and an interception to show for it.

Wildcats rush to tackles Oregon's quarterback Justin Herbert (10) in the Arizona- Oregon game on Saturday Oct. 27, 2018 in Arizona Stadium in Tucson, Az.
Wildcats rush to tackles Oregon’s quarterback Justin Herbert (10) in the Arizona- Oregon game on Saturday Oct. 27, 2018 in Arizona Stadium in Tucson, Az.

6

Arizona running back J.J. Taylor got his sixth career 100-yard rushing game, which also put him at over 2,000 rushing yards on his career. Taylor is only the 13th player in Arizona history with 2,000+ rushing yards.

“He’s a great example to a lot of our younger players … He’s a great example for this program and what we want, as a competitor and as a person,” head coach Kevin Sumlin said about Taylor.

Running back JJ Taylor rushes the ball and avoids getting tackled during the homecoming game against Oregon on Saturday, Oct. 27 at Arizona Stadium.

96

Arizona receiver Shun Brown went for 96 yards on 10 catches and one touchdown.

“We talked about playing four quarters,” Sumlin said. “Not [about] playing a perfect game, but playing four quarters, and we did that.”

Brown clearly capitalized on playing a full 60 minutes with his impressive numbers on the big night.

RELATED: ‘Cats ‘D’ catalyst of unlikely Homecoming win over Oregon

Receiver Shun Brown (6) sprints down the field after receiving the ball from Tate during the homecoming game against Oregon on Saturday, Oct. 27 at Arizona Stadium. Arizon got a victory over the cats with a final score of 44-15.

212

Taylor rushed for 212 yards on 30 carries. Taylor clocked in two touchdowns for the Wildcats to contribute fourteen points on the board.

“I wasn’t thinking about anything else but helping my teammates,” Taylor said after his 200+ yard rushing game.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter