Police Beat

Marijuana odor leads to minor in possession

A man was cited for minor in possession on Oct. 26 at 1:06 a.m.

An officer responded to a call referencing the smell of marijuana in Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall. When the officer arrived, he located the room and detected a mild odor of marijuana. The officer made contact with the two men who lived in the room, and one of them invited the officer inside.

Both men told the officer that they did not know anything about the odor and did not have any marijuana in the room. The men did not allow the officer to search the room.

The officer noticed a can of Natural Light beer on one of the men’s desk and the man admitted that the alcohol was his. The officer then asked that any other alcohol be turned over to him. The man pulled another beer out of the refrigerator and gave it to the officer.

The man was cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol. He refused to answer any questions from the officer. The man was also referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Man steals purse, is arrested on charges of theft

The University of Arizona Police Department responded to a call for assisting the Tucson Police Department with a purse-snatcher on Oct. 28 at midnight.

At approximately 6:49 p.m., TPD was called to Whataburger in reference to a man stealing a woman’s purse. The reporting party followed the man to Peter Piper Pizza and informed police of his new location. When police arrived, the victim and others identified the man as the one who stole the purse.

UAPD was called when TPD found two CatCards, a silver iPod Touch and a Verizon cell phone that they believed belonged to the UA student whose CatCards they found in the man’s wallet. When police attempted to ask the man about the property, he was uncooperative.

The two students reported the theft on Oct. 27 to officers. They said that it was stolen while they were playing Frisbee and were not paying attention to their personal property.

The man was arrested on charges of theft and one confirmed warrant for false reporting and trespass.

Man sleeping on bench booked for two warrants

Police responded to a call at the Student Union Memorial Center in reference to a man on a bench who was possibly having difficulty breathing on Oct. 27 at 3:51 p.m.

Police made contact with the man, who was asleep. They woke him up to question him. He said he did not have any identification on him, but he verbally identified himself to the officers. He told them that he was on his way to the Main Library when he got tired and decided to rest on the bench. Officers asked the man if he needed medical attention, and he said no, he was “”just tired.””

A records check of the man showed that he had no affiliation with the UA and that he had two TPD outstanding warrants for violation of promise to appear and failure to appear, both second degree misdemeanor charges.

Police confirmed the warrants and told the man they were placing him under arrest. He told the officers that he thought he only had one warrant. He was taken to the Pima County Jail, where he was booked for both warrants.

Newspaper vending machine stolen from SUMC

Police received a report that a newspaper vending machine was stolen between Oct. 18 and Oct 25.

A person with The Arizona Capitol Times called police to report that the vending machine they had in the Student Union Memorial Center had been taken. The man told officers that the paper delivery driver had given him the information about the missing machine.

There are no suspects.