Notes from the heart

What a stupid holiday

I hate Valentine’s Day. It’s not because I hate romance, or hate chocolate or hate sex, but because I hate that Valentine’s Day makes more people sad than it makes happy. Think about all the single people out there, forced to accept a Valentine’s Day alone, or who are desperate enough to go on a date with someone they don’t really like just to avoid the stigma of being alone on Valentine’s Day. Women and media that have built up these huge expectations, making it nearly impossible for men to fulfill them and inevitably causing disappointment. That’s not the love Saint Valentine, whom Valentine’s Day is named for, supported.

My biggest qualm with Valentine’s Day is the fact that it’s quite pointless. It seems kind of silly that romance is confined to one day. If a relationship needs a made up holiday to spark romance, then the relationship probably isn’t successful. Valentine’s Day takes the spontaneity out of February and bottles all these expectations into one impossible day. Maybe I’m just grumpy because I don’t have a girl to go out with on Feb. 14, but to be quite honest if I did I would take her out the 15th or 16th. It would be more spontaneous, and it would be way easier to get a reservation.

— Dan Desrochers, chemistry freshman

Don’t wait for happiness

It was first grade in Ms. Young’s class when I had my first Valentine. Let’s just say I was willing to go for what I wanted at an early age, so naturally, I did the asking.

His name was Robby. My impression of him, as a 7-year-old, was he was good at math and could tell really good stories — and that was crush-worthy, big time. So the day before the big day I went right up to him and asked if he’d be my Valentine. And just like that he agreed.

That night I was so excited to have a Valentine. So my mom helped me make him one of those big heart-shaped chocolate chip cookies the size of a pizza with his name written on it with red frosting. I also made him a little card to say Happy Valentine’s Day.

The next day, when I presented my gift to him, he loved it, and all was great. We of course stayed friends, but since that day, I made him cookies and a little card to give him on Valentine’s Day every year until we graduated high school.

So this Valentine’s Day, why not be just as direct? Don’t wait to be asked!

— Serena Valdez, journalism junior

Deeper meaning for Valentine’s Day

Somewhere along the way, the meaning of Valentine’s Day has been lost. Guys are pressured to plan a perfect day of romance filled with big bouquets of roses, big boxes of chocolates and an expensive dinner out. Girls anticipate the holiday so much and are crushed with disappointment when they aren’t showered with presents.

“I think it is a Hallmark tradition in which people are expected to spend money,” said Brian Moriarty, a history junior. “It encourages people to act more loving for someone one day a year when that attitude should always be the case.”

“I believe at first it was to honor love but now it’s all about buying things for your loved one,” said Alma Leyva, a business student.

Valentine’s Day is a day dedicated to showering the ones you love with thoughtfulness, kindness and caring. Making a collage of memories or writing a love letter is a thousand times sweeter. Dinners will be gone, flowers will wilt and chocolates, well, right to your hips; but pictures and words will last forever in their hearts.

It isn’t and shouldn’t be about splurging to buy love; it’s about splurging your feelings to fill the hearts of the ones you love.

— Cheryl Gamachi, pre-journalism freshman

Avoid Facebook at all costs on Feb. 14

Valentine’s Day makes Facebook the No. 1 site to avoid. Facebook is flooded with Valentine’s Day statuses that are annoying to anyone who is single or in a relationship. Valentine’s Day is overly commercialized and if two people are truly in love, they shouldn’t need a day dedicated solely to expressing it. On the average day it is annoying to scroll down Facebook’s news feed and see, “Best night ever! I love you sooo much!! Together forever!” No one on the Internet cares about how much someone loves his or her “soul mate” let alone having to read something of that type a thousand times. Love is meant to be expressed in person between two people. Not between one person and the rest of the Facebook world. While it is bound to happen anyways, those easily annoyed by these overly cliché love statuses should stay off Facebook on this annual holiday.

— Ashley T. Powell, journalism sophomore

An unconventional Valentine’s tradition

I suppose I can’t judge Valentine’s Day fairly. I’ve never had a typical, chick flick-approved Feb. 14 — no roses, no chocolate, no dinner date that night. If I say I hate Valentine’s Day, you’ll probably think I’m just bitter and lonely and I have no experience to back up my opinion. Then again, if I say I love it, what can I really say I love about it? There’s no way to win. So I’ll just talk about my own experience of Valentine’s Day, where no one can say I’m wrong.

My mom doesn’t like making reservations, looking for parking or slow service, so she abandoned going out to dinner with my dad on Valentine’s Day years ago. Instead, she invites her parents over to our house every year for a family dinner. Usually that night involves my mom and grandparents gossiping about their side of the family, my grandparents (whom I love dearly) passively chiding my inability to finish the cartoonishly large slab of meat served to me, and a whole lot of wine. It’s always a nice night (albeit a little awkward), but never romantic.

Maybe someday I’ll have a typical Valentine’s Day, but for now I have my grandparents … and several boxes of Samoas.

— Lauren Shores, journalism sophomore

Save your money for a memory not a gift

While I do understand the appeal of lingerie for Valentine’s Day, the subject matter is a little confusing. Honestly what girl doesn’t want to buy that little sexy something to seduce her boyfriend with? But is there really any purpose in going out and buying one of these pricy items?

Each year thousands of shoppers, both male and female, flock to Victoria’s Secret, or a store of similar sort, with the idea that buying a hot pink corset and see through underwear will make this Valentine’s Day more “memorable.” I think that adding another $60 to $100 on top of dinner, roses and chocolates on something that will come off in two seconds isn’t really worth all the hype.

Realistically if you’re in a relationship you’re probably going to have sex anyways so why break the bank on a piece of clothing when you can save the money for a romantic night stay at a hotel?

— Rebecca Miller, a junior studying photography and journalism

Any holiday with candy is worth celebrating

Valentine’s Day is the adult equivalent of Halloween. Most of my friends view that as harsh, but I mean the comparison in a positive light.

Let’s face it. After puberty hits, Halloween candy is either going to be scarce or nonexistent.

That’s why Feb. 14 exists. Couples get to give each other oversized stuffed animals. I get to buy myself a freakishly large Toblerone bar. There is this unexplained cheer in the air. Folks wear more pink and red than normal. Guys show their ‘sensitive side’ by wearing heart-emblazoned boxers hanging out of their thigh-high jeans.

There is no logic involved. The holiday mainly exists because of strategic marketing by candy and greeting card companies.
    Is that such a bad thing though?

Sure, I don’t get the day off, but I get a reason to smile. In times like these, we all deserve a day for shallow festivity that relies on deliciously processed sugars.

— Megan Hurley, journalism junior

Celebrate your relationship status, whatever it is

The tension between the singles and non-singles on Feb. 14 is much stronger than the actual holiday’s festivities. 
Typically, all the singles sulk around this time of year, stocking up on wine and chocolates for themselves while the couples pretend they dread the big day but secretly anticipate it. Why is that?

Being single should not automatically lead to a hatred of Valentine’s Day. Being single should be a celebration. Being in a relationship should also be a celebration. This is a holiday that calls for celebrating just like any other.

The tension should be cut this year. Singles are not sappy about dressing up alone on Halloween so why should a hearty holiday be dreaded or ignored by the ones without significant others. The resentment of non-single friends doing cutesy and slightly embarrassing acts of love should be replaced by our own acts of independence. Say goodbye to “single’s awareness day” and embrace a holiday worth celebrating.

Why do we go crazy on October 31? No one really knows, but it’s fun. Do the same today.

— Caroline Nachazel, junior studying journalism and communication

Holiday for singles? It’s only fair

Come Feb. 14 people in relationships, your columnists among them, will be celebrating St. Valentine’s Day with their significant others. However, even those happily paired off individuals must recognize that a day exclusively for people in relationships is glaringly unfair. So why not have a holiday for the single, happy or otherwise? Bachelors already have their own patron saint, Saint Christopher, who reputedly followed the Devil before he chose Christ, and then only because Christ was more powerful. Later in life he was tempted by two women to renounce his faith in return for the obvious, but he had them converted to Christianity by the end of the night. Someone so awesome deserves a holiday anyway. Why not co-opt him to the cause, singles? Christopher’s Day might consist of general craziness in the vein of its namesake, albeit with (hopefully) less devil worshipping. The single might venture forth alone and celebrate their freedom, or salve their recently dumped souls by attempting to replicate the Chuck Norris-ish sainthood of Christopher in their own, likely drunken way. And surely the man himself would approve, just so long as everyone is a good Christian by the end of the night.

— Andrew J. Conlogue, junior studying philosophy, politics, economics and law

Day of love should not be hated

Valentine’s Day is a day to either bring out the butterflies or the bitterness people have for one another. From the perspective of someone who has always had a Valentine, Valentine’s Day is actually a fun holiday — remember in elementary school you had to give everyone in your class a valentine? Even if you don’t have a significant other, it is always a good idea to be Valentines with a friend, or someone else who loves you. The most popular reasons for many to dislike Valentine’s Day are that it’s expensive, it’s stupid or they are lonely and it can be a strong reminder of lost love. The holiday is expensive if you choose to make it that way, but honestly a lot of girls would be satisfied with flowers, or simply going to dinner. Guys would be satisfied with a massive amount of Snickers or maybe a back rub. Some think it’s stupid because people should treat their significant other like that every day, not just one day out of the year. Let’s be real, no one gets treated like that every single day, plus it would get old. It was a fantastic idea to make a day solely for reminding people that you love them, we all need that once in a while. Make this most of this holiday, eat a lot of candy, and show the love for those who care about you. Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!

— Danielle Carpenter, pre-journalism freshman

Love always finds a way

Valentine’s Day is about appreciating the one or ones who bring joy to your life. Without them you’d have neither strength nor glory. It’s the day to share love and reach a state of ecstasy.

You realize her power when she turns pain into pleasure. When her bright colors illuminate your soul because her smile has a firm grasp and isn’t letting go so she leaves you with no sense of control. Or how the details in her eyes give color to your skies.

Maybe poetry has been exhausted, but Valentine’s Day is a beautiful holiday that gives you a chance to find these genuine emotions and express them in a way that feels right to your nature. Affinity between two beings is never artificial if their hearts are in it. So use Valentine’s Day to sink into your heart and uncover this passion.

Even someone who on Valentine’s Day doesn’t have a significant other to share a hand with, it doesn’t mean they can’t share their heart. Let someone know that they are too loved, because love always finds a way back to you.

— Luke Davis, pre-journalism sophomore