Soccer to take on two

Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Tim Glass
Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Fresh off its first win of the season, the Arizona soccer team hopes to build on its success and avoid any setbacks as they host No. 17 Rutgers University and Brown University in the Marriott University Park Tournament this weekend at the Mulcahy Soccer Stadium.

The Wildcats match up against Brown tonight at 7:30 and against Rutgers on Sunday at 7 p.m.

“”Coming off of a win, it definitely starts our season over for us,”” said forward Renae Cuellar. “”Friday’s game is going to be a big game for us. If we don’t win, it would feel like a setback because of the way we’ve started the season.””

Arizona will try to put together a full 90-minute game, which it hasn’t been able to do thus far in the season, even in Sunday’s victory over Old Dominion University. The trend for the Wildcats has been to start strong, but be unable to manufacture any goals in the second half. Arizona has been outscored 9-2 by their opponents in second half of games this season.

“”We need to be a little tougher and be able to play through it when we’re fatigued,”” said assistant coach Lisa Oyen. “”It’s not just your legs getting through the fatigue, it’s about having the mental capacity to get through it and being willing to fight through it.””

Oyen also mentioned that the coaches ran the team more in the beginning of practices this week, allowing them to adjust to playing at a high level when fatigue sets in.

“”Practice has been tough but practicing with more intensity always helps because it better prepares us for game situations,”” Cuellar said.

Brown (0-1-0) comes to Tucson with a similar style of play as some of the Wildcats’ previous opponents they’ve played this season.

“”They’re a team that’s a little more direct and it’s good because we’ve seen that style before, so it should be easier to figure out how to play against them,”” Oyen said. “”But at the same time, they’re from out of the region, and at the end of the day, we focus on what we do best and go from there.””

The Wildcats have yet to win (0-3) against ranked teams this season, and will have a chance to change that against Rutgers, which is coming off a Sunday win against No. 24 Penn State.

“”We continue to have a good, challenging schedule and that’s how we’re going to get better as this season progresses,”” said head coach Dan Tobias.