The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

85° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat: April 27, 2012

    Words of fury

    An unidentified individual called the University of Arizona Police Department to report a fight between two students at 6:20 p.m. on Tuesday. An officer arrived at the scene and immediately separated them.

    When the officer asked the men what happened, one of them said he hit the other because he said something derogatory about Chinese people. The man said he monitors an online chat room and punched the other student for posting a mean comment. The officer noted in his report that both men were Chinese. When the officer asked what the comment was, the man said it was too offensive to say out loud.

    The officer spoke to the student who was hit. He told officers that he was on his way to class when he saw the man and everything seemed fine. He said the man then hit him in the face “out of nowhere.”

    A professor and teaching assistant saw the altercation and immediately ran over to break up the fight. The student who was hit said he would press charges.

    He said, she said

    A student called UAPD and said she had been verbally harassed by her ex-boyfriend at 2:08 p.m. on Friday. She told officers that although he lives in Phoenix, he will be coming to the UA for graduate school and that she placed a restraining order against him months ago for harassment. She said he drove to Tucson without telling her and followed her into Rincon Market, and before that had been trying to contact her. She asked the officer to tell him to stop contacting her and that she was in the process of getting another restraining order against him.

    The officer called the woman’s ex-boyfriend, but he did not answer. The officer left him a voicemail to tell him to stop calling the woman and that she was getting another restraining order.

    Afterward, the woman called UAPD and asked the officer to keep the new restraining order a secret from her ex-boyfriend. The officer told her it was too late. The ex-boyfriend called back hours later and told the officer he never tried to contact the woman nor did he follow her anywhere. He said she was trying to contact him, not the other way around.

    The officer asked them to show call logs and messages from the other to find out who was contacting whom. The man submitted tweets, Facebook messages, phone call logs and text messages from the woman, but the woman did not send anything. The officer told them to stop talking to each other.

    More to Discover
    Activate Search