Police Beat

Man reported for urinating on window
    Police responded to a call about a man urinating on a window Sept. 30. A woman in Skyview Apartments called police after she said a man urinated on her window. The woman told officers that she was in her room on the first floor when she noticed the urine. She said it was a man who was urinating on her window, but she did not see his genitals.

She then said she went outside and confronted him before calling police. This was the second time in two days someone had urinated on her window. She said the other time happened the day before, but she did not report it.

Police made contact with the man, who was sitting on a curb outside of Skyview. He admitted to urinating on the woman’s window, saying that he knew it was wrong. The man told officers that he only did so because he did not have his keys to get into Skyview, and he had to use the restroom. Officers explained that it was illegal to urinate in public and told him that he could be prosecuted for doing so. The man said he understood and promised not to do it again.

The man was referred to the Dean of Students Office for a Code of Conduct violation.

Suspected shoplifter apprehended
    A woman was charged with shoplifting from the UofA Bookstore Sept. 29.

Police responded to a call that store security had detained a woman. When police arrived, they made contact with an employee who said that he had witnessed a woman grab several items from the sales floor, rip off the price tags and place the items in the pocket of her shorts. When the woman tried to leave the store, the employee made contact and took her to a conference room. The woman told the employee she had attempted to shoplift three UA emblem key chains, worth $22.21 total.

Police questioned the woman, who said she knew what she did was wrong. She told officers that she “”didn’t have enough money to purchase everything”” and “”fell into the temptation of stealing things.”” Police cited and released the woman for shoplifting. She was told she is not allowed in any of the UofA Bookstores.

Men cited for marijuana, one taken to jail
    Police cited and released a man and arrested another after receiving a call about marijuana use.

Police responded to Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall after a resident assistant called them about the smell of burned marijuana. When police stepped off the elevators, they noticed a resident open the door and then attempt to shut it quickly upon seeing the officers. This was the room that the RA had identified as smelling of burned marijuana.

Police made contact with a man in the room. They saw that he and four others were in the room. Police asked the man to exit the room and stand outside. One officer questioned him while the other officer questioned the other men. The man outside of the room told officers that he lived in the room and that one of the other men was his roommate, and the others were his friends.

He said that they were all playing “”Mario Party”” and one of the men was studying. The officer asked him if he smelled marijuana. He said yes, but it was coming from the other end of the hall. He then told the officer that he often smelled marijuana from that end of the hall. The officer asked the man if he smoked marijuana. He said that he did, but the last time he smoked was about a week ago, and he did not have any narcotics or paraphernalia in the room.

The officer then corroborated with the other officer to see if the men’s stories matched up. They did not. The other men told the officer that some of them had smoked some marijuana earlier that night outside of the dorm.

The officer went back to the man outside of the room and asked him to tell him the truth because the stories did not match up. The man then told the officer that he and two other men had gone outside earlier and smoked a joint. He said that there was a small amount of marijuana in his room under his bed in a suitcase. He also told the officer that there were several empty bottles of alcohol under the same bed.

Police asked one other man to exit the room. He told officers that he was the men’s neighbor and that he was in the room studying economics. He was adamant about not smoking marijuana, and the other students had not named him as one of the people who had smoked.

Police ran the man’s information, finding that he had a warrant out in Tucson for a $500 bond. Police asked the man if he knew about the warrant. He said he did not and asked officers if he was going to jail. They told him that due to the warrant, he was under arrest.

Police went into the room where one of the men gave them his marijuana. He was cited and released for possession of marijuana. The other man was taken to the Pima County Jail, where he was booked for his warrant.