The Mix: Top 5

Now that we’ve made it past syllabus readings and introductions, school is in full swing. That means late night cramming has invaded precious hours in bed. For this week, here’s a tracklist to help you take advantage of whatever time you get to spend with a pillow.

“”Avalon”” by Sigur Ros
    Submitted by Ali Freedman

This eerie Icelandic band offers up mostly lyric free music light and slow music that seems perfectly fit for a dream.

“”Lullaby (goodnight my angel)”” by Billy Joel
    Submitted by Kim Kotel

For those nights when you’re feeling homesick; it’s like having the comfort of your mom or dad without them having to be in the other room.

“”Lullaby”” by Jack Johnson ft. Matt Costa
    Submitted by Becca Lesser

What better than a lullaby to help you catch some Z’s? Jack Johnson’s mellow acoustic guitar will lull you to sleep in no time.

Brian Eno’s Ambient 1: Music for Airports
    Submitted by Steven Kwan

Post-Sept. 11 travel through airports is more stressful and boring, thanks to security and the time needed to get through security and the airport. College offers similar stresses. Thankfully there’s this album, which sounds like one long, peaceful song. Eno created it as a soundtrack for airport passengers and employees. In his original 1978 liner notes, Eno wrote, “”Ambient Music is intended to induce calm and a space to think.”” Listen to this throughout the day, but try not to fall asleep during class – it looks embarrassing.

“”Such Great Heights”” by Iron & Wine
    Submitted by Becca Lesser

Sam Beam’s toned-down cover of the Postal Service’s song is simple and sweet–perfect for unwinding after a long and stressful day.

5 Other Songs To Fall Asleep To

• The Birth and Death of the Day by Explosions in the Sky
    • One Big Holiday by My Morning Jacket
    • Clocks by Coldplay
    • Imagine by John Lennon
    • Wonderwall by Oasis