Reflecting on The Streak

For the fans of the Arizona Wildcats, it was likely not a hopeless feeling in their stomaches when The Streak officially came to an end on March 11.

Instead, it was probably a feeling of confusion and uneasiness — what else happens in March?

For the fans, making the tournament was a matter of statistical desires and trends. And for the fans, making the tournament was clinging to the past.

After all, it wasn’t as if making the NCAA Tournament by way of winning the Pacific 10 Conference would mean the first Sean Miller team would go anywhere, seeing that it is a .500-level team.

So when the final buzzer sounded in Staples Center during the Wildcats’ one-and-done appearance in the 2010 Pac-10 Tourney, Miller’s season-long refusal to discuss The Streak was finally understood. That refusal wasn’t to show disrespect to former head coach Lute Olson, but a matter of showing that The Streak belonged to Olson, who built and molded a college dynasty in the Tucson desert seemingly from nothing.

The Streak now stands as a quarter-century of excellence, consistency and perhaps, a unity that made Tucson more than a college town — in the Lute Olson era, Tucson was a basketball town.

Just because The Streak ended doesn’t mean that has to change.

This year, 2010, now stands as a historical marker. If all goes well, The Streak will be forgotten and 2010 will be nothing more than a blip on the radar screen.

Through Olson’s excellence, Arizona’s new king has the past to prove that winners can be grown under the harsh desert sun. Sean Miller has the groundwork set to find great success.

With Olson’s presence completely in the past, now is truly the Miller era.

Honor The Streak, but honor it under the name of Olson.

Because now, Miller has his own streak to make.