Mailbag: Nov. 30

Screening of 9/11 conspiracy film disrespectful

As a student who is fairly left-leaning in the political spectrum and who genuinely believes activism can bring about positive change, I am disgusted by the Voices of Opposition student group showing 9/11 conspiracy films.

These kinds of conspiracy films only serve to discredit legitimate activism and fuel right-wing opposition to progressive action. On a personal note, I am even more hurt as a native New Yorker. I spent Sept. 11, 2001, frantically calling friends and family who lived in the city. These kinds of films disrespect all who lost a loved one in the attack on the Twin Towers.

Voices of Opposition has shown some thought-provoking films in the past, but as far as I’m concerned they are no longer in the category of progressive activists but rather have aligned themselves with some truly misguided people. When activists entertain these kind of ridiculous ideas it hurts everyone working towards change.

You want the truth about 9/11? Seriously disturbed people looking for conspiracies should let the dead rest and respect the many still grieving.

Patrick McGowan

Undeclared freshman

Unruly fans got too much coverage

Saturday was one of the best games of the 2009 football season and all anyone can do is talk about the unruly fans.

There has been way too much negative attention towards prematurely rushing the field and no reason to cite overly enthusiastic fans as the reason for the loss. Of course, no one should have been on the field with half a minute left in the game, and maybe the leaders of the Zona Zoo section could work on a method of preventing similar incidents in the future, but for now, it was nothing more than some oblivious students with the best intentions of supporting their beloved team. Yes it was silly, but stupid, embarrassing or the reason for losing? Not really.

The student section is known for being rowdy and the Zona Zoo section definitely lived up to that reputation on Saturday, but maybe we are giving the fans’ role in the game more credit than necessary. The game is about the players and the coaches, and they all did well. The loss was a rough one, but we need to stop suffocating the enthusiasm and just support our student section and our Wildcats. The season is not over, so keep up the spirit for the USC game!

Emily Dindial

Anthropology senior

Cheers to Daily Wildcat response to Oregon game

I am pleased that the Arizona Daily Wildcat expressed the disappointment, horror and humiliation that I know all the alumni of this university felt at hearing the story of the disgracefully bad sportsmanship shown after the Oregon game.

Contrast that with the excellent sportsmanship shown by the two teams. I saw numerous instances of opponents helping each other up off the field, for example.

What do you do when you lose a close heartbreaker like this one? Shake the hand of the first Oregon fan you find and congratulate them on their fine play.

College should teach life lessons. Let this be one for every student to learn.

As for the culprit who hit the Oregon cheerleader — hopefully not a student — you should be identified, arrested and jailed.

Hank Helley

Columnist uses same ‘boilerplate’ tactics as politicians

It doesn’t surprise me that Rachel Leavitt is a creative writing sophomore because what her writing lacks in logic and facts, it more than makes up for in creativity and needless adjectives.

Words like “”outrageous”” and “”atrocious”” obscure the fact that Ms. Leavitt subjects her readers to the same ad hominem attacks Reps. Rogers and Jenkins use to poison the health care debate. Nowhere in Ms. Leavitt’s article is a reference to any page number or section of the House or Senate bills. In its place is the standard boilerplate rhetoric of Ms. Leavitt’s side of the argument (to combat the side of Reps. Rogers and Jenkins), which does nothing to educate or enlighten those thirsty masses of eager minds who want nothing more than to clearly understand an issue that is too often complicated by those who wish to push an agenda.

We are all more ignorant of an important issue for reading what any of these three women have to write on this subject. Can we please formally retire the single mother working to support two kids anecdote? It’s old and meaningless due to overuse. And please spare us your simplistic style and lack of concern for a reasoned, structured argument.

Niall O’Connor

UA alum 2003