UA sororities donate prom dresses to Cinderella’s Closet

UA sororities are giving back to the community through a clothing donation project.

Ten sororities within the Pan-Hellenic Council have contributed to the Cinderella’s Closet donation program by giving more than 200 dresses over the past month. All sororities were encouraged to help and 10 of the 14 officially participated.

Cinderella’s Closet is an organization that collects and sells used prom dresses, shoes and accessories to junior high and high school girls in order to enable them to attend their school dances, while also recycling like-new clothing items that would otherwise not be worn again.

The project was coordinated by Allie Dutson, Pan-Hellenic Council vice president of programming and a pre-business sophomore, who emailed the owner of Cinderella’s Closet to ask how the sororities could get involved.

“My goal going into it was [to donate] 100 dresses. I doubled it so I’m really happy,” Dutson said. “I’m proud of all the women in the chapters. They did amazing.”

Dutson said she wants to get even more involved in the goals of Cinderella’s Closet by planning an event where sorority members can help girls shop for their dresses. She also wants the women to help organize the dresses and accessories after dropping them off this week.

Melissa Tureaud, co-founder of Cinderella’s Closet, said that the organization will accept any clothing that is no longer wanted.

“We won’t turn anything down, but we’re really looking for that more modern look,” Tureaud said. “We just want to make sure we have a large enough collection for all the girls.”

The downside is that not a lot of plus-size dresses are donated, Tureaud added. However, she said all of the efforts are appreciated.

“It’s great we get to help junior high and high school students get the opportunity to enjoy their prom and make awesome memories,” said Ashley Lovich, president of Sigma Kappa and an education sophomore. “It feels really good that we’re helping other girls get this experience.”

Each sorority house decorated boxes before filling them with their donations. Lovich said Sigma Kappa’s box is decorated in pink wrapping paper with pearls.

The boxes were picked up this past Monday.

Melissa Tureaud launched Cinderella’s Closet with her sister in 2009. The number of dresses they receive annually from community donations has grown significantly since then.

The organization has received 600 dresses since it separated a year ago from the Young Women’s Christianity Association, which previously hosted Cinderella’s Closet. These dresses are also sent to charities throughout Arizona, such as the nonprofit organization Candlelighters, a support network for families of children with cancer.

“We appreciate the community; the media has been really responsive to the program,” Tureaud said. “We’re just really grateful for all the help we’ve received.”