Top Homecoming games in the last 10 years

Simon Asher
Arizona Quarterback Khalil Tate looks for a teammate to pass to during the UA-Washington State game on Saturday, October 28.

Arizona football has been known to have some wild Homecoming games over the last several years. Here’s a ranking of the Wildcats best performances over the last 10 years.

10/28/2017:  58-37 win vs. Washington State University

Who can forget last year’s homecoming game against the Cougars? It was only Khalil Tate’s third start of the season and fourth consecutive game getting the majority of UA’s quarterback snaps. Tate went 10-17 passing for 275 yards with two touchdowns and an interception, while running for 158 yards and one touchdown on just 13 attempts. 

Arizona 's Colin Schooler flexes after taking down a Washington State player during the UA-Washington State game on Saturday, October 28.
Arizona ‘s Colin Schooler flexes after taking down a Washington State player during the UA-Washington State game on Saturday, October 28.

The final score shows a blowout, but Washington State actually led in the second half. The then-No.15 ranked Cougars took a 27-23 lead with 8:06 left in the third quarter, but the ‘Cats ended the game on a 28-10 run. And it’s not like Arizona sat on the football and ran out the clock when they had the ball late in the game. 

Three of Arizona’s final five touchdowns were on plays of 49 yards or longer. JJ Taylor ran for a 79-yard touchdown, Khalil Tate ran for a 49-yard touchdown and Colin Schooler returned an interception 66 yards for a score.

11/10/2012: 56-31 win vs. the University of Colorado

Arizona’s second Pac-12 meeting with Colorado featured legendary running back Ka’Deem Carey in a major way. The future-NFL back ran for 366 yards – a conference record – on 25 carries and five touchdowns, which set a school record. Carey also caught two passes for 34 yards.

Arizona’s defense was led by sophomore linebacker Jake Fischer, who had five solo and five assisted tackles. Reggie Gilbert also had four tackles, including a sack.

Arizona’s win over Colorado was then-head-coach Rich Rodriguez’s first homecoming at Arizona. The ‘Cats would go on to win the Gildan New Mexico Bowl over Nevada the next month, Arizona’s first bowl win in four years.

11/7/2009: 48-7 win vs. Washington State University

UA’s Homecoming rout of Washington State started with a bang as Travis Cobb fielded the opening kickoff at the five-yard line and took it to the house. It wasn’t the only special-teams touchdown the ‘Cats scored that game, either. William Wright returned a punt 86 yards for a score in the third quarter.

Six players, including quarterbacks Matt Scott and Nick Foles, combined for 294 yards on the ground, scoring three touchdowns. Foles was showcased in the pocket, completing 12 of 19 passing for 136 and a touchdown, but he split the snaps with Scott, who ran for 91 yards. 

Running back Ka'Deem Carey runs away from Colorado defenders in Saturday's 56-31 win. Carey did a lot of that on his way to a record- setting 366 rushing yards and five touchdowns.
Running back Ka’Deem Carey runs away from Colorado defenders in Saturday’s 56-31 win. Carey did a lot of that on his way to a record- setting 366 rushing yards and five touchdowns.

The Wildcat defense showed up, as well. UA’s defensive front gave up just 59 yards on the ground and 185 yards of total offense. The ‘Cats also forced and recovered two fumbles, recovered by Ricky Elmore and Lolomana Mikaele.

Follow Max Cohen on Twitter