Keanu proves Key and Peele are stars ready for the big screen

Warner Bros
    Still from Keanu, released to theatres on Friday, April 29.

All good things must come to an end. It’s a saying that leaves people wondering what lies ahead after memorable careers. 

For Jordan Peele and Keegan-Michael Key, stars of the sketch comedy series “Key and Peele,” opportunity comes in the form of the film industry. Action comedy film “Keanu” follows two individuals who become involved with violent gang members after seeking out a stolen kitten. Overall, the film becomes an enduring start in the film careers of two great comedians.

The film begins with Rell (Jordan Peele), who, after going through a recent breakup, decides to spend his free time smoking marijuanawhile reminiscing about his past love. After a small kitten finds its way to Rell’s doorstep, we start to see a glimmer of happiness in him as he obsesses over his new pet while slowly regaining contentment.

Over time, Rell’s obsession with his newfound pet becomes apparent. For example, Rell creates a calendar with pictures of his cat Keanu. Rell’s friend Clarence (Keegan-Michael Key) witnesses this.

After discovering Keanu was stolen during a home invasion, Rell and Clarence seek those responsible for the kidnapping by investigating Rell’s next-door neighbor Hulka (Will Forte), a marijuana dealer who informs them the possible culprit could be a drug kingpin named Cheddar (Method Man).

From this point, the film embarks on a series of stereotypical jokes of gangster lifestyle. In a way, the film flirts with the image and representation of gangster culture by having the two main characters attempt to assimilate into a new environment with new rules and expectations.

Rell and Clarence arrive at a strip club looking for Cheddar, only to find themselves in a troubling situation after meeting some of Cheddar’s acquaintances, Hi-C (Tiffany Haddish) and Bud (Jason Mitchell). Their ensuing meeting with Cheddar forces them to adapt new alter egos: Shark Tank and Tectonic.

At times, the film relies solely on hilarious gags about situations that arise out of mistaken identities. The way in which the two main characters fake their way through troubling encounters by coming off as streetwise killers is more than enough to uplift the movie, despite its reliance on a single topic (societal depictions of the gangster lifestyle). Some people might find the depiction of race and gangs in American culture offensive, but then again there is no success in the comedy industry without some controversy.

Overall, “Keanu” manages to successfully showcase a comedic performance by Key and Peele, who have made a name for themselves in the satire field. Through its memorable moments and stereotypical presentation, the film becomes a must-see for humor fans.

A-

Follow Ernesto Fierro on Twitter