Women’s golf on top of the Pac

For the seventh time since its inception in to the Pacific 10 Conference, the Arizona women’s golf team has won the conference tournament.

The Wildcats only had two individuals score rounds under par for the tournament, which was held in Eugene, Ore., this year, but they shot even par as a team in Wednesday’s final round en route to the team championship.

Arizona got an assist from the virus that kept two ASU golfers out of competition after ASU held the lead after the first round of play, which led to the Sun Devils as a whole having to withdraw from the team competition. 

The top of the leader board saw only two players under par for the tournament — both of which were Sun Devils.

UA’s highest individual finisher was Margarita Ramos, who tied for third at 3-over-par. Sophomore Isabella Boineau also pitched in a top-10 performance, as she finished tied for 10th at 5-over-par.

Sophomore Nikki Koller and freshman Sherlyn Popelka tied for 14th at 7-over-par, and junior Alejandra Llaneza finished in a tie for 23rd at 11-over-par.

Oregon, USC and Washington rounded out the top-5. California, Stanford, Washington State and Oregon State finished off the bottom half of the standings in that order.

Arizona clinched an automatic berth in an NCAA regional tournament, which will begin May 6 and continue through May 8. UA’s location is yet to be determined.

The top seven finishers in each regional earn a bid to the NCAA Championships, held in Wilmington, N.C. from May 18-21.