Arizona softball begins fall exhibition season

Tyler Baker
Tyler Baker / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA Softball beat UC Santa Barbara Sunday afternoon 9-0 after 4 innings.

Arizona softball opens its fall exhibition season today, with the start of the Arizona Fall Invitational.
The invitational will be 15 games in three days at Hillenbrand Stadium and admission is free. Seating is on a first come, first serve basis.

Arizona opens Friday with Phoenix College at 6 p.m.

“Things are going well, lots of kids that are out here, fighting for a position and the work ethic’s been good,” said head coach Mike Candrea. “We’re starting to put a few things together, but that’s what the games are for, to see where we’re at and go back to the drawing board, but I’m very happy with the group that we’ve got.”

Then on Saturday, the Wildcats play Arizona Western at 11 a.m., followed by Central Arizona at 1 p.m.
On Sunday the UA plays Cypress College and at 3 p.m. and then hometown Pima at 5 p.m.

Arizona returns 13 players and adds 11 newcomers. Candrea said they have “more talent” this season.

“Certainly there’s a lot of new kids, so there’s a lot of learning that takes place but I think the big thing right now is that the effort has been escalated a little bit,” Candrea said.

—Follow James Kelley @JamesKelley520