ASUA says farewell

Valentina Martinelli /Arizona Daily Wildcat
Valentina Martinelli

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona gathered Wednesday for its final meeting of the semester.

Different sections of ASUA gave speeches for the end-of-the-year presentation, which focused on the organization’s different accomplishments this school year.

The presentation included speeches about campus achievements in academic affairs, safety, Arizona Students’ Association, Zona Zoo and diversity.

“”We’ve had one of the most aggressive legislative agendas ever in ASA,”” said Elma Delic, a journalism senior and ASA board chair. “”We’ve also been active in student aid reform and pursuing our congressional members to vote yes, and it passed.””

Delic also said that ASA had one full-time legislative intern on the agenda.

Ryan Klenke, diversity executive director and a political science sophomore, spoke about the diversity accomplishments in ASUA, which included more workshops and conferences for diversity awareness.

President Chris Nagata mentioned ASUA’s marketing achievements.

“”I think we’ve been successful having our members doing marketing and social media marketing, and hopefully, you’ll see more of this in ASUA,”” Nagata said.

Executive Vice President and President-elect Emily Fritze talked about the changes in the general operations of the club resource center.

“”This summer was primarily on working on the club website,”” Fritze said. “”We also had a lot more clubs coming to us asking for help, and that was great to see.

Administrative Vice President Gabriella Ziccarelli discussed the achievements for Programs and Services.

“”We did a writing competition with Residence Life, and have raised over $5,000 for the Diamond Children’s Medical Center,”” Ziccarelli said.

The senate and executives spent the last half hour of the meeting giving speeches about the academic school year and what it was like to work in ASUA.

“”There was a lot of diversity in the senate this year, and I think that has helped us reach a greater part of campus,”” Sen. Ryan Ruiz said.

Each senator and executive member gave a report, but Sen. Eduardo Atjian and Sen. Tyler Quillin both personally addressed each senator and executive member.

“”Tyler Quillin is by far one of the most intelligent people in the social media network,”” Atjian said. “”Good luck in your future, it will be bright.””

Quillin expressed appreciation for Sen. Katherine Weingartner.

“”I deem to say that Katherine is the most intelligent senator,”” Quillin said.

Atjian shared a similar opinion of Weingartner.

“”You are my buddy, like Buzz Lightyear has Woody,”” Atjian said of Weingartner. “”You will always be my kitty cat to me. You are my friend and I love you so much.””

Sen. Sarah Bratt personally thanked Fritze in her senate report.

“”Without you, we’d all probably be lost,”” Bratt said to Fritze.

Sen. Leo Yamaguchi’s senate report received much laughter from the senate and audience.

“”I’m really going to miss sleeping with that stinky Pike sweater,”” Yamaguchi said. “”I have a lot of good memories from this year.””

A few senators and various ASUA members choked up during executive and senate speeches.

The senate approved a senate funds request for up to $600 for a DJ for the Zona Zoo Clothing Drive/Undie Run.