PAC-10 Hoops Power Rankings

1. California (5-2)

While there’s no such thing as upsets in the

Pacific 10 Conference, a hierarchical structure begins to define itself after both Bay Area schools swept the Oregon schools this weekend. With the nation’s No. 2 Strength of Schedule, the Bears have been tested and carry the conference’s most veteran leadership.

2. Stanford (4-3)

The all-too-familiar Stanford swingman Landry Fields was named conference player of the week by averaging 24.5 points and 8.5 rebounds in the Cardinal’s sweep against the Oregon schools. Stanford’s defense held the Beavers to 35 total points on Thursday.

3. USC (4-3)

A 26-point win against the very, very hungry Huskies capped off a weekend split. The Trojans scored a season-high 87 points. “”We hear, ‘Oh, you’re a defensive team’ all the time — but we can score the ball,”” USC’s Marcus Johnson said. “”We have a lot of offensive threats one through five. We’re not just a defensive team.””

4. Arizona (4-3)

Jamelle Horne made the following statement: “”This team isn’t young anymore.”” Rounding the corner of January, it looks like the Wildcats are clicking at the right time with a potentially season-defining win against ASU. But this weekend will be a true measuring stick against conference leaders California and Stanford at home.

5. UCLA (4-3)

Mustafa Abdul-Hamid didn’t make one start last season and played just two games before injuring his wrist. This weekend, he became a household name in Westwood, hitting a game-winning buzzer beater to lift the Bruins over Washington and eventually complete the sweep against Wazzu.

6. ASU (4-3)

Yes, it’s possible to go from first to sixth in 40 minutes. The Wildcats exploited Herb Sendek’s Bermuda Zone defense, and to think other teams won’t either is naive. The buzz in Tempe could be close to a hangover, especially after an embarrassment on ASU’s home court against in-state archrivals.

7. Washington State (4-4)

A win this Saturday in the Apple Cup could create a fine line between Pac-10 contenders and the bottom three of the conference. The Cougars have split each of their four weekends this season.

8. Washington (3-5)

An unusually quiet Abdul Gaddy tweeted only once over the weekend: “”Philippians 3:12-21″” which in the Bible says “”Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own.”” It’s been an underachieving, stumbling start for Gaddy, but the Huskies are talented enough to “”make it their own”” with a late push.

9. Oregon (2-5)

For the second consecutive season, the Oregon schools just can’t escape the conference basement.

10. Oregon State (2-5)

Would be a sixth place team in the Mountain West Conference.

WEEKEND RESULTS

Thursday, Jan. 21

California 89, Oregon 57

Stanford 59, Oregon State 35

UCLA 62, Washington 61

Washington State 67, USC 60

Saturday, Jan. 23

Arizona 77, Arizona State 58

California 65, Oregon State 61

Stanford 84, Oregon 69

UCLA 74, Washington State 62

USC 87, Washington 61