Women’s hoops loses sixth straight

Two days after the Arizona women’s basketball team looked so promising in the second half against No. 9 Stanford, the team fell flat on its face against No. 20 California Saturday in McKale Center, losing in an 84-64 rout.

The Golden Bears (16-5, 7-4 Pacific 10 Conference) led the Wildcats (7-16, 1-10) for all but 4:13 of the game.

“”This was a tough one to take,”” said UA head coach Joan Bonvicini, who remains at 598 career wins. “”We had good momentum going into this game.””

The loss concluded a four-game homestandin which Arizona lost each contest. The Wildcats have lost six games in a row and 11 of their last 12.

But unlike recent Pac-10 losses, Saturday’s stands alone – as Arizona’s worst conference home loss of the season and the team’sfourth-biggest losing margin since conference play began Dec. 22 at then-No. 10 ASU.

The loss also clinched California’s first season sweep over Arizona in 15 years.

“”Cal’s a good team,”” Bonvicini said. “”They were able to pick us apart. We got in foul trouble early, but we didn’t score as well, and we were very impatient in the second half.””

The Bears killed Arizona in the post, receiving 47 points from their three forwards – Devanei Hampton, Ashley Walker and freshman Rama N’diaye – and also got 25 of the team’s 41 rebounds from the trio.

“”They’re monsters on the boards,”” Bonvicini said.

By contrast, Arizona received 17 points from its four post players – Rhaya Neabors, Amina Njonkou, Shannon Hobson and Suzy Bofia – who had only 15 rebounds. Njonkou also fouled out after 25 minutes.

“”Where we scored a lot on Thursday, we scored a lot from the perimeter, we got some stuff off our press, and we had some 3-point shooting,”” Bonvicini said. “”We struggled in that today, and we didn’t get a lot of post production. This was a game where we didn’t look good.””

Guard Joy Hollingsworth, who has been carrying the team on her back recently, had one of her worst games of the season, going 2-of-18 from the floor, including 0-of-8 from the 3-point line, and tallying only eight points.

“”I think I just shot the ball bad, but my teammates were there to keep me going,”” Hollingsworth said. “”It’s just really hard. It’s really frustrating.””

Guard Jessica Arnold led the Wildcats with 19 points. Arnold was 7-of-14 from the floor and made one of the team’s three 3-point field goals.

“”I think there were some times during the game where I knew my team needed me to score,”” Arnold said. “”I haven’t been very consistent with my scoring, and I need to try to keep doing that for my team.””

Arizona shot just 22-of-61 (36.1 percent) and was only 3-of-22 from behind the arc.

Arizona began the game scoring the first five points and led until 15:47 left in the first half.

The Bears didn’t look back after that, never surrendering the lead for the rest of the game.

Looking back on the day’s events in McKale Center, which included the men’s basketball team’s historic loss to North Carolina only hours earlier, Bonvicini said, “”We’ve had better Wildcat days here. Let’s just say that.””