Police Beat: April 20

Third-degree escape

University of Arizona Police Department officers were patrolling campus in a golf cart when they noticed a student stumbling out of a gray Chevrolet truck at 12:38 a.m. on Saturday. The truck drove away, and officers caught up with the man, who continued to stumble along the street.

When officers asked the man how he was doing, he said he was fine. Officers noticed the smell of alcohol coming from his breath and that he had red, watery eyes. His speech was slurred. Officers asked the man to sit on the curb and where he lived. The man told them he lived in a nearby residence hall, and asked how much longer he had to wait on the curb. Officers told him they just needed to grab some paperwork from their golf cart, and then he could leave.

As officers began walking to the cart, the man jumped up and ran to his residence hall. Officers followed him. When they reached the elevator, the doors opened and the man was standing there. The man asked if they were looking for him, and officers immediately searched and arrested him. He was taken to Pima County Adult Detention Center for minor in possession of alcohol in body and third-degree escape. He was referred to the Dean of Students Office for a Code of Conduct violation.

A hurting hand

UAPD and Tucson Fire Department responded to a call from a student in Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall. The man had punched a window and slashed his wrist at 5:12 a.m. on Sunday.

When officers arrived, they saw blood in the restroom, on the windows and the ground. There were also paper towels soaked in blood. They met with the man, who was surrounded by his friends and had his arm wrapped in paper towels. His friends told officers that he had lost a lot of blood and needed to be taken to the University of Arizona Medical Center. While he was taken to UAMC, some officers stayed behind. They saw three empty beer cans on the desk next to the broken window.

The officers went to the medical center to question the man. He told them he was not trying to hurt himself or others, but was very upset due to some personal family issues he was having. He refused to tell officers what the issues were, but told them he went to a party to clear his head, then decided to go home.
    He said he took three beers from the party back to his dorm and drank them in his room. After drinking the beers, he said, he leaned against the window with his hands but leaned too hard. He told officers that the window probably broke because he was drunk and didn’t realize what he was doing.

Officers cited the man for minor in possession of alcohol in body and criminal damage. He was referred to the Dean of Students Office for a Code of Conduct violation.