UA Status Depends On Senate

March 2, 1956

The bill to make the University of Arizona one branch of a 3-branch University system, equal in status to state colleges at Tempe and the Flagstaff, is resting in the state Senate.

There has been no indication of when the bill will reach the Senate floor. It must first go through four senate committees — State Institutions, Education, Planning, and Development and Judiciary.

Members of the Senate have indicated that it may be some time before the bill is brought up for debate.

The State House of Representatives approved the bill after three days of spirited debate, as Pima county’s 16 representatives were overruled by the 38-member Maricopa delegation.

Even if the 3-branch bill does not get through the senate, which authorities say is doubtful, it will face charges of constitutionality in the state Supreme court. The constitution allows for only one state university and one board of regents, according to Atty. Gen. Robert Morrison.

In a statement presenting his personal views, Dr. Robert L. Nugent vice president of the University, said, “”Arizona at this time cannot financially support adequate universities. I agree with the statement made by citizens that for the foreseeable future, publically supported higher education can best be served by our single university, two state colleges, two junior colleges and additional junior colleges as are needed.””

Letters explaining the UA stand on the bill have been sent to University students who are residents of all Arizona counties except Pima and Maricopa.

Brochures put out by the Citizens for College and University Education Committee, a civic group opposing the bill, have been distributed.