Police Beat

A man was arrested for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia outside Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall, 1440 E. Fifth St., at 12:19 a.m. April 21.

Officers were dispatched to where a man was seen drinking in public. Police noticed the man sitting on a curb trying to open a bottle of Yellowtail Cabernet Sauvignon wine.

As they asked the man to hand them the bottle, they noticed a multi-colored glass pipe lying in plain view roughly two inches away from his right side, as well as a package of rolling papers about five to six inches from his right side.

The man said he had not used drugs in more than a year and a half, and that a friend had given him the pipe and package of rolling papers. An Altoids mint container was also lying next to the man, and police found it contained marijuana.

Police asked the man what the pipe was for and he said, “”It’s for smoking marijuana, cocaine, meth and heroin,”” according to reports.

The man was booked into Pima County Jail.

A male student was cited for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia at Pueblo De La Cienega Residence Hall, 621 N. Highland Ave., at 2:49 a.m. April 21.

A resident assistant noticed the smell of marijuana near a third-floor room and escorted police to the area.

While police were standing near the room, the door was suddenly opened by a student. Police told him why they were there and asked to come inside.

Inside the room, the smell of marijuana grew stronger. The student said he and his friend were playing the video game “”Guitar Hero”” all night and hadn’t done anything else.

One resident admitted to drinking earlier that evening, but both students said they had not smoked at all that night. Both males had red and glassy eyes consistent with marijuana use.

Officers searched the desks in the room and found a package of rolling papers, a prescription bottle containing marijuana and a rolled marijuana cigarette in the trash can.

The resident of the room was cited for possession of marijuana and possession of marijuana paraphernalia, although he maintained that neither he nor his friend had smoked marijuana that evening.

The student was cited and released on scene.

Two students were cited for possession of marijuana at Sky View Apartments, 1050 E. Eighth St., at 9:37 p.m. April 21.

A resident assistant noticed the odor of marijuana coming from the third floor of the building.

Police knocked on the door where they suspected the smell was coming from, and a student answered. The smell became heavier and more pungent inside the room. Officers asked if there was anyone else inside the apartment, and the student said one of his friends was in his bedroom.

Police found a backpack near the bed with marijuana inside. A package of rolling papers, a glass pipe, a plastic cigarette roller and a marijuana cigarette were found underneath the bed.

Both students were cited for possession of marijuana, and the guest was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia because the items were found in or near his backpack.

Both males were cited and released on scene.

An officer responded to a call of attempted theft at the 22nd Street Warehouse, 1145 S. Warren Ave., at 8:05 a.m. April 23.

A UA employee told officers that before the store opened for the day, he placed a black and silver iPod and its earphones on top of a glass counter for customers to look at.

As the store opened, two males entered and looked around the store. At approximately 7:30 a.m., the employee noticed the iPod was missing, and he knew that neither male had purchased anything. After talking to a co-worker, they determined that one of the males had taken the iPod.

The employees questioned the men, and both denied taking the iPod. The employees thought their behavior was suspicious, so they called UAPD.

Police arrived on scene and questioned the two males. One said he was looking for computer equipment and doesn’t remember seeing an iPod anywhere. Officers searched both males, and neither had the iPod in his possession.

Upon searching the warehouse, the iPod was found behind two doors of a desk organizer in the warehouse. Police asked the employees if the security cameras were operational, and they said none of the cameras had been working for a long time.

Fingerprints were taken from the iPod, although no usable prints were found. No arrests were made, as no one saw the iPod moved.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu