Alamo Bowl-bound

Alamo Bowl-bound

The Arizona Wildcats will match up with the No. 14 Oklahoma State Cowboys in the Valero Alamo Bowl on Dec. 29 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

The meeting will be the first of three between the Wildcats and Cowboys over the next three years, and it will be the first between the two schools since 1942.

“”For us, it’s going to be a great honor playing such a great opponent. So again, we are going to be very excited to represent our school and the Pac-10,”” said head coach Mike Stoops. “”San Antonio is a great destination point, and I know our players and fans will be excited about such a great game.””

The selection marks Arizona’s (7-5, 4-5 Pacific 10 Conference) third straight bowl game appearance. The Wildcats finished the season 0-4 after starting the season 7-1.

This year, the Alamo Bowl replaced the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl as the bowl for the second place team in the Pac-10. The Alamo Bowl paid the conference $3 million for the spot.

“”It’s great to be the first league team to play in this first year of Alamo Bowl affiliation with the conference,”” Stoops said. “”Our players are excited to be playing in an outstanding bowl against a quality opponent like Oklahoma State.””

OSU finished the season with two losses, including a tie-breaker to Oklahoma to decide the Dr Pepper Big 12 Championship.

This will be OSU’s third appearance in the Alamo Bowl, but the Cowboys have not had much success, posting a 0-2 record.

The Cowboys lead the nation in total offense with 537.6 yards per game and a second ranked passing game with 354 yards per game. OSU also totes the Big 12 leading rusher Kendall Hunter.

All time, the Wildcats and Cowboys are tied all 3-3.