ASA joins blog world

Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat

ASA chair Elma Delic, a journalism and political science senior, works on a ASA blog post in the ASUA office on Wednesday October 27.  Delics first post had over 200 views.
Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat ASA chair Elma Delic, a journalism and political science senior, works on a ASA blog post in the ASUA office on Wednesday October 27. Delic’s first post had over 200 views.

There’s more to ASA than meets the eye — or at least that is what ASA chair Elma Delic plans to show with her dive into the blogosphere.

The Arizona Students’ Association, funded and directed by students from Arizona’s three public universities, represents the student voice in Arizona government.

Delic, a political science and journalism senior, who was vice chair of ASA last year and moved up as board chair this year, thought the time was right to start the blog, the first one of its kind that she knows of for ASA.

“”I had wanted to (start the blog) last year when I was vice chair of ASA, but I thought this year would be the best opportunity because there is so much going on with ASA,”” Delic said.

The midterm elections and her new position, to her, gave a proper platform to start what she hopes will become a tradition amongst chairs in the future.

“”Throughout the rest of my term as the Arizona Students’ Association board chair, I want to utilize this blog as a mechanism to outreach to students by informing them about not only what I am doing as chair, but the organization as a whole,”” Delic said in her first post. “”Furthermore, I want to get feedback, suggestions, criticisms, ideas, you name it, from all of you. So please comment, email me, tweet me, call me, pigeon-carrier, whatever your method is, I would love to hear from you!””

As the November elections approach, Delic also hopes to add more to the blog about politics and the effort to encourage students to vote.

This is also part of the UA Votes 2010 mission of encouraging students to vote, indicative of the campus voting blitzes and the push for local governmental debates on campus.

Delic feels that further utilization of social media and the Internet to aid in transparency with the mission of ASA will connect more with students.

“”I think that with the blog, it will be another really good way to outreach to students and to allow them to give us feedback on all of the things that we are doing.””

Her blog, to date, has two postings, introducing the venture and the next steps in January’s proposed strategic planning process.

Delic noted that she hopes to have other people contribute to the blog, as well as have students gain more awareness of it.

Associated Students of the University of Arizona President Emily Fritze started a blog to help open up the channels of communication for students earlier this year.