Greek organizations hold annual dance competition

Ernie Somoza / Arizona Daily Wildcat Soririties and fraternities compete in the yearly step, stroll and salute on the UA mall Friday evening. Students competed for a trophy and bragging rights.

The United Sorority and Fraternity Council collaborated with ASUA for their seventh annual Step, Stroll and Salute competition held on the UA Mall Friday night, where various greek organizations showed off their dancing skills in an effort to promote recruitment and greek unity.

‘Triple S’ featured eight multicultural fraternities and sororities that were required to apply an ‘International Love’ theme to their performances. Before the performance, sorority and fraternity members came together and caught up with friends.

“I like this event a lot,” said Max Cerrillo, an economics junior and a member of Lambda Theta Phi. “It’s a great way for us to see the other greek organizations perform and get to catch up. It’s more like a greek unity kind of thing.”

A DJ kicked off the event with a variety of music and attendees received free pizza and Eegee’s. Soon after, council members conducted a roll call for each of the performers. Sorority and fraternity members participating gave their traditional chant as their organization’s name was called.

For the first round, each group introduced themselves and their organization before starting off their routine. Members got the chance to show off their skills to fellow greek life members.

“I think this is a really nice event so that other greek organizations can see what we can showcase to each other,” said Bertha Morales, a psychology senior and member of Kappa Delta Chi. “We get to see something different from everyone.”

Following the first round was an exhibition where groups not involved with USFC were able to display their talents as well. One of these groups was Epsilon Sigma Rho, who had traveled down from Arizona State University to participate.

“We think it’s amazing when you can get this many different greek organizations together to just hang out,” said Michael Bowler, a senior studying psychology and theater and president of Epsilon Sigma Rho. “Everyone gets to talk about who they are and their personalities get shown off.”

Some of the students who stopped to watch the performances also commented on the benefit these organizations bring to the campus.

“It’s good to see different groups working together and having these organizations on campus is really important,” Brittany Bickley, a pharmacy freshman. “Just so you don’t get lonely and you have friends and a support group to always bounce back on.”

There were a total of three rounds before Theta Nu Xi was announced as the overall winner. The organization received a trophy, which will be engraved with its name, that it will keep for the full academic year, until the next winning organization receives it.

“As a council we felt like we wanted the winning organization to get more of a recognition than money,” said Kharmelyn Lopez, a business management senior and the recruitment and public relations chair for USFC. “We wanted something tangible.”

Some organization members commented on the benefits, aside from boosting recruitment.

“While we do use this for recruitment, it’s really one of those things where we all get together as a council and a community and show off what each of us have done individually,” USFC President Danae Figueroa said. “It’s a great time to socialize with people from other organizations and those passing by.”