Monday Morning Round-up

UA regains lost honor

After the embarrassing bottle-throwing incidents and general riotousness at the Arizona vs. Oregon football game, the UA football team has redeemed itself by beating Arizona State University last weekend. We’re always proud when the Wildcats win, but it’s even more thrilling when Arizona beats its biggest rival.

The Wildcats won by a mere three points, making the match an extremely close one. The Wildcats should be proud to have defeated the Sun Devils, and hopefully this win will bring good luck to next weekend’s USC game. Arizona has had a successful, interesting season, and the final football match should prove to be competitive and exciting as a result of everything that has happened so far. Cheers to the Wildcat victory after such a disappointment on “”College GameDay.””

Anti-redhead sentiment is bigotry, too

Last week, students at A.E. Wright Middle School in Calabasas, Calif. were inspired to act out because of a Facebook group post about “”Kick a Ginger Day.”” The term “”ginger”” was popularized by the television show “”South Park,”” referring to an individual with red hair and pale skin. For some reason, the children of Wright Middle School found it perfectly acceptable to discriminate against them.

These students don’t realize that making any group — even redheads — the target of persecution is bigoted. Teachers and administrators at all public schools should take this sort of event seriously. Too often, children are picked on inside and outside of class and it goes ignored by the school. Discrimination should never be overlooked, even at the smallest level. Parents and instructors alike should be worried about the future if this kind of behavior continues.

Slow economy made for low-key Black Friday

The economy may be in a better place now than it was earlier this year, but you’d never know from this year’s Black Friday data. According to an Associated Press report, sales only rose by 0.5 percent this year, even though many experts predicted a strong showing. It looks as if most people are still trying to save money in any way they can, and shopping remains a low priority in tough economic times.

There’s more time for everyone to make their holiday purchases, but the mediocre Black Friday turnout is another reminder that the general public is attempting not to overspend, and this is definitely a smart societal move. It’s more than a little embarrassing to know that there are still many people willing to get up at 3 a.m. on Black Friday to go shopping.

Senseless violence continues with Tacoma shooting

Thanksgiving break ended on a sad note this weekend when four policemen were killed at a coffee house in Tacoma, Wash. Pierce County Sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer told The News Tribune that one or two gunmen burst into the Forza Coffee Co., shot the four uniformed officers and left the premises. Authorities said that it was a targeted ambush, and it’s a shame to see this happen to protectors of the law. It was only a few weeks ago that the shooting rampage at Fort Hood took place, and many soldiers died that day. This is a tragic way to begin the holiday season.

— Editorials are determined by the Daily Wildcat opinions board and written by one of its members. They are Alex Dalenberg, Laura Donovan, Justyn Dillingham and Heather Price-Wright.