Gabrielle Giffords will resign from Congress

Jim O’Rourke
Jim O’Rourke / Arizona Daily Wildcat A one year anniversary memorial service was held to remember those who were effected by the Jan. 8 shootings on the UA Mall on Sunday. Among those who spoke were Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Mark Kelly and Dr. Peter Rhee M.D.

A little more than a year after being critically wounded from a gunshot, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords announced that she will resign from Congress this week.
“I have more work to do on my recovery, so to do what is best for Arizona, I will step down this week,” Giffords said in a video posted on her Facebook page.
Giffords has been an Arizona representative since 2006, and was a member of the Arizona state Legislature for five years prior to her time in Congress.
Giffords was re-elected in 2010 to a two-year term set to expire at the end of this year. Gov. Jan Brewer will schedule special primary and general elections to find someone to fill the remainder of Giffords’ term.
Giffords implored her constituents to continue working together for the betterment of Arizona and the nation as a whole.
“Arizona is my home, always will be,” Giffords said. “A lot has happened over the past year. We cannot change that. But I know on the issues we fought for, we can change things for the better. … We can do so much more by working together.”

More details will follow as they become available.