Community Chatter: If you could tell incoming freshmen one thing, what would it be and why?

“I would tell the incoming freshmen to go to class because I skipped a lot my first semester and that was a bad idea. It’s totally worth it.”

VICTORIA ZIARNIK
BIOLOGY FRESHMAN

“I would tell them to actually study. I feel that I didn’t study as much as I needed to. This would have made a big difference and present me with more options.”

BRENNA CARPENTER
LATIN AMERICAN STUDIES SOPHOMORE

“Grades matter, regardless what anyone says, especially if you are looking for higher education. The second thing I would tell them is to find a friend who lives close to the university and use a guest pass that only costs around $50 instead of paying a huge amount of $500. If you have a car, look into parking.”

CANDICE HENNESSEE
NUTRIONAL SCIENCES SENIOR

“Take school seriously. Don’t feel tempted to drop out because it is not worth it. If you take it seriously, then you can succeed in your long-term goals after you graduate instead of being behind because you didn’t study hard.”

GREG GARRISON
AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES JUNIOR

“Several things I would tell them is to file your FAFSA before your due date. That is very important. The second thing I would say is to plan out all of your classes three or four semesters in advance and speak with your guidance counselors to make sure you are doing them correctly.”

JOSE RAMIREZ
GEOSCIENCES JUNIOR