Police Beat: Jan. 16

Intersection intoxication

A UA student was arrested for underage drinking on campus on Wednesday. The incident occurred at 1:27 a.m. at the intersection of Cherry Avenue and East First Street. A University of Arizona Police Department officer noticed that the student was in a daze and decided to stop and see if the student was OK. The officer found that the student was in possession of alcoholic beverages and cited the student for minor in possession of alcohol in body.

Reckless residents

A resident assistant called UAPD on Wednesday at 5 p.m. due to complaints over the volume of music in a residents’ room. The RA had told them to turn down the music several times. Officers arrived on the scene and gave the student a warning for excessive loud music and noise. The warning was filed under the “disturbing the peace” category. There is no further information at this time.

Alpha Phi fire

A fire started in the Alpha Phi sorority house during the late afternoon on Wednesday. UAPD officers and Tucson Fire Department officials said they do not know what caused the fire in the house. There will be forthcoming investigations. UAPD and TFD officers arrived at the scene and made sure everyone inside of the house was safe and moved them outside. No one was injured.

Another bike stolen

UAPD officers responded to a student’s call in response to a missing bike on Wednesday at 6 p.m. The officers arrived at the scene and investigated the surrounding areas. They gave the student a victim’s rights form and informed the student that they would continue searching for the bike, which was last seen on University Boulevard.

Suspicious smokers

UAPD officers were on duty and patrolling the campus on Wednesday at 10:15 p.m. when they saw two UA students huddled in a corner outside of a dorm on Highland Avenue. When police officers stopped, the two students dispersed behind the dorms near the stadium parking lots. The police officers continued their patrol and eventually found the students. Officers said they believed that the two individuals were smoking marijuana outside of the dorm. No further action was taken by UAPD officers.

Midnight malice

At midnight on Wednesday, two students were found attempting to vandalize the Student Recreation Center and were immediately arrested by UAPD officers. The students were read their rights, placed under arrest and put in the back of a police car. The students said they were playing around and having fun. The two students were brought down to the station and interrogated further. Officers searched around the Rec Center for anything that was broken, but were unable to find anything.