Community Chatter: How easy is it to get around campus without running into people?

“When I first came to the UA I was really overwhelmed by all the bikers and how fast they were going. I guess I got used to it and learn to weave through the people so it’s not too much of an issue now. I usually check both ways before I cross the streets and I feel that both the biker and the pedestrian are at fault.”

-Cynthia Koiki, Media artssophomore

“I don’t ride a bike, but I have been close to being hit before many times. I now hesitate more often because of those times. I feel it’s the bikers’ fault because pedestrians should always have the right of way.”

-Daniel Milavetz, Political science junior

“I ride my bike every day. I have never personally run into people but I know it would be very easy to run into someone because most of the pedestrians are talking with their friend or on a cell phone when they are crossing and I am going faster than I should. I feel that it is the pedestrians’ fault.”

-Keith Wilson, Interdisciplinary studies senior

“I would say it’s more difficult and I hope (the) UA can do something about it. I have actually been told by bikers to move out of the way. I am much more hesitant when I cross the path on the Mall. I believe it is the bikers’ fault.”

-Adam Berry, Pre-business sophomore

“Walking across the (UA) Mall is a huge hassle because no one is slowing down and everyone is riding around in that small area.”

-Matt Zuckerman, Political science junior

“I am usually OK with riding my bike on campus. As long as you are vigilant there won’t be any problems. There is a rare occasion where someone will step in front of me so I will have to brake.”

-Jonathan Roussel, Pre-pharmacysophomore